Experimental Shorthorns

Help Support CattleToday:

Alright. Alright!
I'll let ya'll off the hook now. Gawd!

So the pair sold a couple weeks ago. We just have not had the right time to get together and make the deal happen. Shortly after she calved, I was contacted about selling them. This was before/ABOUT the same time I put them on a couple places for sale.
Anyway, a somewhat deal was made, but not a definite "I'll take it"

I got an "I'll take it" from the ad on cl. She was listed for $1750. Gave them til the weekend. In the meantime, the first to contact was greatly disappointed. But we discussed it and hoped for the best. Well, as luck would have it for the original party, the "I'll take it" folks backed out.
We had discussed (the first party and i) about how I do things. And I wouldn't have felt right, selling out from under the "I'll take it" people. That's just the way I do things. When I tell someone I'll do something, that's the way it is.

SO! We got the deal done this weekend. She went off to her new home in another state. And, honestly, I'm so glad they got her.
The cow will be a.i. bred to the bull, Redhawk, from the poll I posted.

The calf will be handled and shown! By one or both of the children. (Not my neighbor, that was whole nother thing. One of those I already sold her, you'll have to wait your turn deals)

I sincerely hope the folks that got her do update this thread at least occassionally, as I think it would be sooo KOOL to continue her story here. I understand some people are very private people and that's fine too!

Perhaps they will throw me a pic from time to time to post if nothing else.

Now, down to what the thread was originally started about. How to buy a couple cows and make a dollar. Or at least not lose your butt in the process! The one cow dying was very bad.
Folks, I got extremely LUCKY!!
(I'll expound on that later, but most points have been covered throughout the thread)
Everyone that has been following this thread knows exactly what I had in the pair.

I made about 9 bucks, and I'm ok with that. 🙂

Now for important question, what did you buy?

@MurraysMutts , man I reckon I bought one that looks exactly like her while ago. Maybe a little more red roaning further back . She is a 6 year old, registered Milking Shorthorn. People that had her said those kind make good nurse cows, that they make just about enough milk to feed 2 at a time, and you don't have to milk them even with new babies. Clay had called me to see if I wanted to ride over to Ozzie and Flossie's house, because he had 3 possums and 2 coons he was going to take them. They are an old, black couple that are my parent's age. .Mom is 89 and Dad was 92 when he died last month. Since I was a boy, all of us carried Ozzie any coons r possums we caught or killed. And, when you got a bag limit, he loved rabbit and squirrel, too. I hadn't seen them in a year I guess, so I rode over with him. Well, when we got there, we found out Ozzie had fell and broke his hip about 4 weeks ago, and he was back home on hospice. Neither he nor Flossie knows what that means....they think he is getting home nursing til he gets well in a few weeks. It is sad.

Anyhow, this cow had what Ozzie called an "Osher" heifer calf. Kinda black roaning and spots, and she was raising an Angus bull calf someone had gave them., whose momma broke her hip a week after it was born. Ozzie said the calves were about 2 months old. Looked about right. He asked me and Clay how much would we charge to carry them to the sale next Thursday, and these 2 barrows they had been feeding. Pigs are about 225-250 each. He said " Boys, if I could get $800 for that cow, and $100 each for the calves and pigs, that would get us through til I can start doing somethin again when this hip heals." Guess what my dumb-a$$ did?!!! I am getting way too soft and emotional in my old age, and am gonna end up broke and homeless! I told Ozzie that hogs that size were averaging 80 cents a lb at the Thursday sale, so they'd bring probably closer to $200 each., and we would carry them for him. I told him they would be giving him a check, or I could put them in my name, then cash the check, and bring the money to him next Friday. He agreed with that, so I told him I was going to give him $400 now and if they brought more, I would bring him the difference next Friday. He said " No you won't. If they bring more you keep it for gas money. and if they bring less, come by and I will give you back the difference". Then he tried to give us $40 back for gas money. NO way me or Clay either one would have taken a dime. I told him that he was way off on the cattle too. I told him that cow would bring closer to $1600 than $800, and the calves would be $200 each or better. Soooo, in the morning I am taking him $2k and loading the cattle up and head out to south GA. We told him you can carry stock to the sale all week and they will take them and feed and water them til sale time. We have a friend that is meat manager at the Piggly Wiggly, and has a building and cooler at his house that he processes cattle, hogs and deer for people. Clay is carrying the hogs to David tomorrow, and have them processed into three equal packages: One for me, one for him, and one for Ozzie and Flossy.

I have spent SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS on 3 dang dairy cows and two calves. Any business sense I might have ever possessed has left me....probably getting senile or Old Timer's disease. I could have bought 20 Corrientes with that, and weaned twenty $1000 calves off of them each year! Oh, and I found out what an "Osher" calf is, when he told me where he took the cow to get bred. I know the people and they have a small Aryshire herd. And Ozzie had Flossie go get me the papers, and sure enough, that cows is a 6 yr old registered Milking Shorthorn.