Expensive morning

Help Support CattleToday:

Geography is everything. We haven't been able to get crusher for the past 3 years because the oil companies have a corner on the market (didn't even ask this time). Plain old river rock (not filtered) was a hot commodity during the drought.

D2Cat, are you talking about your house water bill or for the barn? We have separate wells and the one at the barn was pumping all the time, even if no cows were at the fountain & we couldn't find any wet spots. Line was cracked waaaaay down & had to trench, dig out the old pipe & install a new one - and a new fountain just because we were tired of fixing the old one. Based on your location I know you had a brutal winter so I wouldn't completely rule out a cracked pipe/line. That said, according to your water company, evidently the customer is NOT always right. :? Good luck!

D2Cat":2eny2fk3 said:
I just got a bill for 54,000 gallons of water. $903, bill normally $130.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow! We have a well, not "city" (municipal) service. I'm thinking something's got to be wrong with that meter. :eek:

back in the 80s we would sell 15yrd dump truck of rock for $300 a load.so now that same load would cost $750 to $1000 a load now.

The actual gravel is $7 a ton here. But yes the shipping gets ya.. We have lots of it, and its good stuff I hear - they ship it way down south to use in certain mixes, barge loads leave all the time. Mine just seems to disappear into the mud.

Be glad it was LA 200 and not drax. A 50ml bottle of it is 400, I don't even know what a 500 would be.
On the gravel we haul it 100 miles. The price at the pit is 8-12 dollars a ton depending on what kind it is.
When fuel prices went below 3 a gallon we dropped our price to 3 dollars a loaded mile. A lot of guys are still above 4 dollars.
23-25 ton loads.

jedstivers":23kicg6c said:
Be glad it was LA 200 and not drax. A 50ml bottle of it is 400, I don't even know what a 500 would be.
On the gravel we haul it 100 miles. The price at the pit is 8-12 dollars a ton depending on what kind it is.
When fuel prices went below 3 a gallon we dropped our price to 3 dollars a loaded mile. A lot of guys are still above 4 dollars.
23-25 ton loads.
Wow Draxxin sure is higher there, $218 for 50ml bottle here. Maybe you meant 100.

jedstivers":3k10ygx9 said:
23-25 ton loads.

Ouch, glad I didn't get any Drax! The LA300 isn't bad @82.00 & the Resflor Gold was $190+ but we have cows ranging from 1100 - 2100 (not including bulls) so 6ml per 100 lbs goes quickly. Our vet is pretty comparable to the local CoOp's or ordering online.

I wish I had a small crusher.. One I could just dump a bucket load in and have gravel come out the other end. Then I may enjoy the rocks around here.. But some are near the size of a car, it's a battle to move them let alone think about crushing them.

Supa Dexta":3rl0vypj said:
I wish I had a small crusher.. One I could just dump a bucket load in and have gravel come out the other end. Then I may enjoy the rocks around here.. But some are near the size of a car, it's a battle to move them let alone think about crushing them.

There used to be a quarry on our ranch - I feel your pain with the enormous rocks. We moved this 4000 lb beast to the entrance & having a "welcome" sign made.

Supa look at a screener instead. Lots cheaper and you do not have to deal with the government agents getting into your business.

Guys around here are asking anywhere from $3.00 cubic yard to over $5.00 cubic yard.

Latest posts