Expect to pay for 30 bred cows or 30 cow calf pairs?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hi Ya'll

Just wondering what would one be expected to pay for say 30 good healthy bred cows or 30 good healthy cow calf pairs?

I'm sure teh time of the year has a lot to do with prices but just a general idea as to what it would cost to buy in the spring and what it cost to buy in the fall etc...

Thanks!

Pretty opened ended question. Type, age, location, market etc. will all come into play in "how much will they cost". Cows are down some but good cattle still bring good money. Here in my area 30 good young commercial pair would probably cost you $1,500 a pair....average cattle might go down to $1100-1200.

TexasBred":1to6ojaq said:
Pretty opened ended question. Type, age, location, market etc. .

Hi TexasBred ...

Sorry about the broad question, I am working on a budget and trying to make sure I cover in the purchasing costs on the cattle give or take a little.

Regarding Type, Age Location .... I'm not 100% sure at the moment, I'm thinking for type, I better to go with commercial for starters, being that I'm new to the USA cattle industry and have a lot to catch up on the way things are done on this side of the pond, having said that I think it would be really nice to have a registered herd of which this will be something I will be shooting for later down the road because the genetics and pedigrees are something I find really fascinating.

Location? I'm thinking Oklahoma, possibility Missouri...but shooting for Oklahoma.
Age of cattle? again I'm not quite sure what would be better to go with, I'm guessing 4-5 year olds

What would you guys recommend I start with, regarding type and age? I definitely want to run cow calf pairs.

I would like to start off with a nice uniform healthy herd so when the time comes to sell them, I want to be able to present/sell a uniform healthy bunch... this would probably be the main goal for the moment.

Thanks!

I would think for $1400-1500 you could get some very nice young pairs and there is a good chance you could find some that were registered. 3-5 years old. You could get some cheaper if you went for 5-7 year old cows. If you want some nice but plain cows, unregistered you should be able to get them for less than $1200. You are probably better off getting them as young as possible, as young as you can afford.

It may be tough to find a single source group of thirty, especially if you have to go through a sale barn. You'd have to watch for a big group coming in like a dispersal or keep in contact with the sale barn owner/manager and let them know what you are looking for and they will tell you if something is coming in. Otherwise you might have to buy in singles at a dispersal sale or a seedstock sale. Watch for sales in drought areas.

30 top comm bred cows $800 to $1000.30 pairs top end $1200 to $1500.herd bull $2000 more or less.

Location? I'm thinking Oklahoma, possibility Missouri...but shooting for Oklahoma.
Age of cattle? again I'm not quite sure what would be better to go with, I'm guessing 4-5 year olds

OK or MO huh, Glad to see your taking my advice :D :cowboy:

I'd sell you 30 black and bwf comm. cows coming w/second calf in march and april for $30,000

Latest posts