Expanding cattle herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Rob30

Reaction score
We are sheep farmers that are diversifying into cattle. I am looking for creative ideas to expand my herd. We currently have a few cattle but want to expand to about 30 head. We are selling our beef directly to customers in the form of naturally raised grass fed beef.
The problem we have is we are currently buying stockers to finish for the business, so trying to come up with extra money for cows is difficult.

Interesting question, since if you develop some grazing skill and the good Lord sends some rain - - it can become difficult to fully stock with cattle. I have tried all these approaches to stretch out the cash:

1) Buy Holstein steers
2) Buy beef heifers
3) Buy stocker beef heifers and keep the best ones
4) Buy thin discounted PG cows just above kill price, sort hard, and sort often
5) Get a loan

My understanding is sheep are more profitable per acre than cattle, so why would be want more cattle?

Stocker Steve":2yntq9wa said:
My understanding is sheep are more profitable per acre than cattle, so why would be want more cattle?

For the same reason my Grandfather sold every sheep he owned the day AFTER the ranch was paid for.

3waycross":3k51wn7o said:
Stocker Steve":3k51wn7o said:

For the same reason my Grandfather sold every sheep he owned the day AFTER the ranch was paid for.
You're from a range maggot raising family?

Apparently so! :shock: :cry2:
My grandfather paid for a 14,000 acre ranch with sheep, and for close to 1200 acres of prime farmland with pinto beans and sugar beets. He was smart enuf to dump the sheep when he had the luxury of raising cattle. All I know is they were gone before I was born. All I remember is cattle.

You wanna make sumthin of it? Old fart! :cowboy:

Well first of all we have both sheep and cattle now. Each have their own advantages.
Sheep are probably at least twice as profitable. You can keep 5 cows for each cow. Each has 2 lambs. If you lose half the lambs you still make a profit. Spreads your risk.
However sheep need much better feed. A bad hay year like we have had several times can really affect your production. Parasites are much worse for sheep. Predators (including stray dogs) are a much bigger problem. Fencing needs to be much better.
Cattle have the advantage of being easy to fence in. Predators can be an issue at calving but otherwise are not usually bad. When renting land I feel safer putting cattle on it. Plus a strand or two of electrified wire holds them in.
In general each have pros and cons. And I like to spread my risk.
Also we have been developing a market for our grass fed beef. I only am interested in enough cattle to fill this market (25-30).

Stocker Steve":2vrkopxp said:

I know almost nothing about sheep production but would like to better understand when talking profitability of sheep per acre as compared to cattle what is the typical net profit per acre of each species in your area?

I am in central Ontario.
I am only trying to built up a small herd of grass fed cattle. We have been running a small meat business. Selling grass fed beef locally. With out too much effort we have been selling so well that we are having a hard time keeping up.
Our goal is to aquire some cows as well as some stockers now to keep up with demand.
The sheep make more money on the auction market. But there is a much higher demand for local beef.

Rob30":ypi011gz said:
I am in central Ontario.
I am only trying to built up a small herd of grass fed cattle. We have been running a small meat business. Selling grass fed beef locally. With out too much effort we have been selling so well that we are having a hard time keeping up.
Our goal is to aquire some cows as well as some stockers now to keep up with demand.
The sheep make more money on the auction market. But there is a much higher demand for local beef.

I am sort of easing into the same thing, minus the sheep. One of the things about cattle I am painfully aware of as a beginner is the fact anything you do (building your herd internally) seems to take forever.

Selling natural freezer beef the number one thing to keep in mind is you need to provide these customers with a top quality product. I would stay with a beef breed rather than dairy. I would ease into cattle by buying quality beef breed three-fers when ever possible - A preg-tested bred commercial beef cow with calf at her side. This is the most economical way to get into cattle.

Maybe one or two quality, healthy well-cared for three-fers per year in addition to stockers. You may be able to get some fairly reasonably priced this time of year if you have hay for the winter for them. Good luck.

Jim

Latest posts