Exchange student

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Joe

Reaction score
My wife and I recently took in an exchange student from Berlin, Germany. It was a spur of the moment deal where a decision had to be made quickly due to the circumstances. She was placed in a home with another exchange student, a young lady from Italy. We found out about 2 weeks ago that these 2 students were needing a new host home asap due to circumstances in the home that was currently hosting them, to say they were treated badly would be an understatement. My wife and I offered to take both students but the one from Italy got placed elsewhere and the one from Germany with us. They were not being physically abused but more emotionally and verbally and the home they came from was nasty according to my wife( she went in to help her get her things out), I'm very embarassed for our country to be represented the way it was being represented to them and we plan to make up for it while she is with us. They were basically being treated as indentured servants, more so the German because the host family told them that they really didn't want a German. They weren't really doing anything illegal to them but it was morally wrong and speaks to the kind of people they are. I would really like to beat the s--t out of them over it. She will be with us until end of May. She is a very beautiful young lady and has the sweetest personality and is very grateful for everything and is quick to let us know that she is. We can already tell that we are going to be very attached to her and will hate for her to leave. She is very smart and mature for her age, it amazes me the things she knows. She knows more about how our country works than Americans her age do.

Glad that y'all could do that. I hate that those children had to see that kind of ugliness.
My wife's cousin has had several foreign exchange students over the years. From my understanding it was a range of results, some were said to be spoiled and entitled, but most were very good situations. She has maintained a relationship with some of them, she calls them her children and herself their American mother. This past summer she went and stayed over a month and visited with at least three former exchange students throughout Europe. I believe some have since came back here and visited with her and her family is recently.
They had their exchange students doing chores as they expected their own children to do as well, but definitely a kinder and more caring environment.

Glad that y'all could do that. I hate that those children had to see that kind of ugliness.
My wife's cousin has had several foreign exchange students over the years. From my understanding it was a range of results, some were said to be spoiled and entitled, but most were very good situations. She has maintained a relationship with some of them, she calls them her children and herself their American mother. This past summer she went and stayed over a month and visited with at least three former exchange students throughout Europe. I believe some have since came back here and visited with her and her family is recently.
They had their exchange students doing chores as they expected their own children to do as well, but definitely a kinder and more caring environment.
This young lady has already asked us to come visit her in Berlin at some point and we have already discussed her coming back at some point to stay with us for a summer, she wants to experience independence day here. She has only been with us a short time but I already feel like she is my own child.

My school teacher neighbor has hosted quite a few exchange students through the years. They've all been super and all but one has come back for visits. She considers them like daughters.

Good for you and your family Joe. You'll all love it!

My wife and I recently took in an exchange student from Berlin, Germany. It was a spur of the moment deal where a decision had to be made quickly due to the circumstances. She was placed in a home with another exchange student, a young lady from Italy. We found out about 2 weeks ago that these 2 students were needing a new host home asap due to circumstances in the home that was currently hosting them, to say they were treated badly would be an understatement. My wife and I offered to take both students but the one from Italy got placed elsewhere and the one from Germany with us. They were not being physically abused but more emotionally and verbally and the home they came from was nasty according to my wife( she went in to help her get her things out), I'm very embarassed for our country to be represented the way it was being represented to them and we plan to make up for it while she is with us. They were basically being treated as indentured servants, more so the German because the host family told them that they really didn't want a German. They weren't really doing anything illegal to them but it was morally wrong and speaks to the kind of people they are. I would really like to beat the s--t out of them over it. She will be with us until end of May. She is a very beautiful young lady and has the sweetest personality and is very grateful for everything and is quick to let us know that she is. We can already tell that we are going to be very attached to her and will hate for her to leave. She is very smart and mature for her age, it amazes me the things she knows. She knows more about how our country works than Americans her age do.
You are a good man, Joe. and your wife is a good person, too.

You are a good man, Joe. and your wife is a good person, too.
I appreciate that, but it has honestly been a blessing to get to know her and to know we will probably have a lifelong connection. Our only child is grown and married so having someone younger around is nice and we didn't have a girl so that is something different as well.

Good for you. I hope your experience will be blessed. She sounds exactly like the 17-yo Slovakian high school student we hosted over a decade ago. Beautiful inside and out. I bawled when it was time for her to fly back home. She still calls us "her American parents" and we communicate regularly.

We had a terrible experience with a 14-yo spoiled brat Spanish student a few years ago, though. Different program, completely different expectations.

Y'all get an attaboy on this one from the one that counts.

My step son has done this 4 times now. He and his wife have not been able to have children on their own.

The first three were great. Switzerland and Finland transfers. The fourth one just considered their town podunk. She wasn't happy in any manner with the school our the home. She transferred to a family in Little Rock. It was very disheartening for he and his wife and they have not taken in another one since.

They remain in contact with the others - all have been female. Two now have children and all of those three have been very appreciative.

Maybe Little Rock was more akin to what she was looking for. All of us, her included, went down to San Angelo for a wedding. We were around her that entire weekend and did not have much conversation at all. She just didn't want to communicate - with anyone. We did some tourist stops there and back and she did not seem to enjoy anything. She never expressed anything she would like to see or do.

Maybe Little Rock was more akin to what she was looking for. All of us, her included, went down to San Angelo for a wedding. We were around her that entire weekend and did not have much conversation at all. She just didn't want to communicate - with anyone. We did some tourist stops there and back and she did not seem to enjoy anything. She never expressed anything she would like to see or do.
What nationality was she?

Ken

She sure sounds like city folk to me
The one we have is from Berlin, can't get much more City than that but she is by no means a snob. Might help that her maternal grandfather whom she was very fond of had a farm and she loved to visit it and spend time with him. She says our place is quiet and peaceful like his was.

I dated a beautiful girl from Berlin. She was really something. Very smart, very talented, she really had her head on her. I think about her sometimes, just a passing little thought that the wind blows in. I can't even find her online to see how her life went, though I know for a fact that it went well if she could help it.

Latest posts