Excellent Beef Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Mosho

Reaction score
Doc or anyone else for that matter,
I would like to see a picture of your idea of an excellent beef cow and why you think she is excellent. I am not trying to be smart but I need to learn what makes an outstanding cow. According to what I have picked up on this forum, I should sell all my cows and start over. I need to know what to look for to avoid making the same mistakes again.

I have Angus/Brangus cows now. I am interested in Angus or Beefmaster.

I am not an expert, but if you want to see Beefmasters, go to http://www.beefmasters.org. There are some good looking cows on the home page. There are also links for other member's web pages you can look at.

I used to think all cows look alike, but I am slowly starting to learn what to look for. As I said, I still have a ton to learn.

Mosho":wpm76v4g said:
I would like to see a picture of your idea of an excellent beef cow and why you think she is excellent. I am not trying to be smart but I need to learn what makes an outstanding cow. According to what I have picked up on this forum, I should sell all my cows and start over. I need to know what to look for to avoid making the same mistakes again.
Mosho-

To endeavor to answer your question in a specific manner would be like asking, "Show me a nice house and tell me what you like about it." We could show you houses that were 980 Sq. Ft., with a small three foot by three foot by 6 1//2 ft "rest room" house in the back yard that would be a nice house, OR - we could show you a house that is $26 million dollars with 9 "rest rooms" and is a very nice house. Both houses are okay to live in, but one is considerably nice than the other- however BOTH houses would work for some people - but not everybody.

It is like that for buying cows. Most cows will work for somebody, but not everybody! You say that you are interested in Angus or Beefmaster. My next question would be - WHY?? What are you planning to do with your cows? Are they going to be part of a Registered Program? Or part of a Terminal program where you keep them for about a year, and then sell them to somebody, and never see them again? Or, are you planning to sell the calves off of the cows when they are weaned and get rid of them? Your marketing protocols are critical when it comes to your BU$INE$$!

There are many different BREEDS of beef cattle, and some of the individuals in EVERY breed are fine cattle. Some of them are terrible and will ending up costing you more money than you paid for them! I am sure that you are aware of that possibility. Within those many breeds of beef cattle are basically only TWO types of beef cattle: MATERNAL and TERMINAL.

Maternal cattle are designed genetically and phenotypically to produce cattle that will raise calves easily and economically and abundantly for breeding purposes and also for feedlot production.

Terminal cattle are designed genetically and phenotypically to produce cattle that will be fed out in a feedlot to produce meat for a buying public.

Both types require much the same physical attributes as the other, but differ in their body type and phenotype, and THAT is where the problems arise! Most producers want to have BOTH types in one style or type cattle and strive fervently to achieve that goal, but most fail in the effort, and so they "settle" for something somewhere in the middle, without really achieving a satisfactory type animal for either choice.

Most of us can show you pictures of desirable cows which will answer your needs to a certain extent, but without knowing what your goals are for you herd, it would be a wasted effort. It would be necessary to actually SEE the cows that you own presently to be able to advise you about what to do with them. I would suggest that you contact both the Angus Breed Association and the Beefmaster Association and relate to them what your seeking in the way of cows AFTER you seriously decide what your future goals are - and then relate that to us or the various Associations. The Angus or any other Breed Association can send you all kinds of material about their cattle to help you make a decision for your future. Pictures too! They will be happy to do this, and better than any one person can do without the extensive methods that the Associations have in order to do so.

Go to the Front Page of CattleToday and look at the Green Pane at the left side of the page. Scroll down that list until you find the heading titled "Breed Associations" and click on it. Select as many breeds as you might be interested in, email them and ask them to send you a bunch of information. They are in the business to do that, so they will load your mail box. Read up on what they have to say. Then if you have questions (which you will), contact the Forum again and we will give you more answers. But you have to have enough information about the various breeds berfore you have enough "feeling" and knowledge about what you want to do in order to ask probing questions.

If you are saying (as you did in your post) that you are considering selling your cows and starting over, you have ALREADY learned a lot! But you may not have to go to those extremes. Organize your goals and study the material from the associations and get back to us The folks on this forum will have something to get their teeth into then. Send some pictures of some of your cattle so we have a clue of where you are in your program.

There are lots of ways to skin a cat - or manage to have a profitable herd, but some knowledge of your herd is necessary first.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon with some pics of your present cattle.

DOC HARRIS

I thank each of you for your responses. Doc, I will post some pictures of my cows sometime today but I already know that most of them are light muscled, light boned, funnel butted and need some condition. We have no grass and no hay so we are trying to get by with soyhulls and range pellets until we get some rain.
Our operation is strictly commercial-raising feeder calves. We sell all of our calves. As we buy some replacements for the cows we have, we probably would like to use something with a little ear (beefmaster or brangus). Right now we are using a Charolais bull which we like and were thinking about continuing with a charolais on brangus or switching to Angus on Beefmaster.
Regardless of the breed of beef cow, I know there are some characteristics to consider. The terms I hear used: capacity, depth, ewe neck are terms I do not fully understand. That is why I thought if I could see a picture of a knowledgeable person's idea of a really good cow, I could get a better understanding.

I am not recommending the breed; but...

this promotional pic of the Durham Red cow is pretty close too my opinion on ideal for a beef brood cow.....

http://www.shorthorn.org/asa/tabID_3789/tailored.aspx

Straight top, feminine head, good depth of rib, level udder, plenty of capacity, with four correctly sized and spaced teats, smooth shouldered, nice gentle slope from the hooks to the pins. What we can see of her leg structure looks correct. Color doesn't matter to me one iota; though some people would prefer that cow in Black. Others would like to see more muscle. And the white on the udder will be criticized by some. The cow could be a complete dud in the real world; but I like everything I can "see" about her (and I have never owned one quite that photogenic)......which is why she is the picture cow.

this heifer is as close to my ideal as I've reached thus far
100_0182.jpg

This is a 3 year old with her second calf
100_0181.jpg

This is a 5 year old with her 4th calf
100_0160.jpg

Mosho":9q90i7vr said:

baaaahahahahahhaahaaaa! boy are you asking for it,,,,bawahahahahahahahahahaa! :lol:

Thank you brandonm2 for your very helpful info. Knersie, the pictures you posted are helpful too.
dieselbeef, I'm not trying to open up a can of worms. Not interested in breed or color preferences just a picture of a good looking beef cow that has the characteristics that knowledgeable people would consider important in a terminal commercial cow.

GAWD, Knersie, but you have some beautiful animals. And of course, the baby calf :heart: ....what a beautiful coat on that calf...

Alice

About the closest I've seen to the perfect cow would be the champion red angus cow at this year's Sydney Royal. Wow she was something. There is a pic of her at this link:

http://www.redangus.org.au/PDFs/News%20Page.pdf

but the photo doesn't do her justice.

Also, there was a thread not that long ago, something about influential animals in the angus breed and I remember someone posting a picture of a famous cow that looked pretty damn close to perfect.

Remember my #96 cow, (Pretty Girl)? Phenotypically, she was the best cow I've ever owned. She was capacious in all aspects. From her topline to her navel she was deep bodied. She had wide spring of rib when viewed from the rear. She was deep in rear and fore flank. Legs were set apart indicating muscle development. She possessed a well muscled, but feminine neck and her udder was well developed with moderate sized, evenly spaced teats. She possessed adequate muscle development throughout as was indicated in the forearm section of the front legs. I would fault her for sloping from hooks to pins. The term ewe necked refers to a light muscled neck.
Reproductive failure is why she no longer resides here. Pretty is as pretty does, however, she was a good producer for many years.
Breed choice: Beefmaster. That's the breed that has been your favorite for years. It's time to purchase some.

This is one of my favorite cows. I like the muscle in the
hindquarter and the thick body. she also is very good
natured, and has lots of milk; never any trouble calving.
She's to be flushed June 5th:

2346petuniaaug04.jpg

OK Jeanne":24ft2uxn said:
This is one of my favorite cows. I like the muscle in the
hindquarter and the thick body. she also is very good
natured, and has lots of milk; never any trouble calving.
She's to be flushed June 5th:

2346petuniaaug04.jpg
OK Jeanne-

I understand why you persist in recommending "Murray Grey" cattle for improving the BEEF in our Beef Cattle production protocols! This cow is a magnificent example of a Beef Cow. You are to be congratulated.

DOC HARRIS

Yes, frame 4---just a few that are a tad shorter. They
seem to keep their condition on forage alone much
better if they are not tall.

We are trying out a new bull & have a few calves from
him this spring - Rockliffe Patron. So far they look good
to us. Here's a photo of a 2 month old bull calf
by R.Patron. His materanal grandmother is the cow
pictured above, Petunia.

DB__6.jpg