Excellent Beef Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

That's quite a calf you've got there, Jeanne. I hope Alan sees the calf as well, that will make my point that at 2 months is a good time to see the potential in a calf.

Doc, you asked to see some pictures of our cows so if I can post some pictures you will see them. After seeing the previous post, I am ashamed to show my cattle. We inherited most of these cows 8 years ago when they were bred heifers. We knew very little about raising cattle but we have really tried to learn all we can. As I said before, I know these cows are lacking condition due to no hay and too little rain on our pastures. Right now we are feeding protein tubs with Rabon, Range Pellets and will start back with soyhull pellets if we don't get rain in a couple of days. We have 4 BCIA 1st calf heifers in the herd and 5 5year old Angus/Brangus cows The rest are the inherited ones that were supposed to be Angus/Brangus Crosses but I feel like several have Dairy gentics. They weigh 900 to 1050 lbs and usually wean calves about 400 -500 lbs. at 7 mos.

gertjie":etxze8bl said:
That's quite a calf you've got there, Jeanne. I hope Alan sees the calf as well, that will make my point that at 2 months is a good time to see the potential in a calf.

I see my other half was still logged on when I posted this reply.

Mosho if your cows did have some dairy influence I would have expected higher weaning weights.

Mosho-

I believe that most beef breeders will agree that a great percentage of the time, after a breeder has been managing his program for a few years, he comes to realize that what his genetics have produced is not what he really should be breeding, and that to make a PROFIT, he has to change his thinking and direction, and organize his operation so that the cattle are more uniform and consistent, and that having several different types mixed up in the herd won't get it done!

You obviously have suddenly realized that you are in that situation right now, and need to get rid of some of your non-profit makers, and stabilize your breeding plans and protocols for a more balanced and profitable operation for your future success. You probably have enough beginning knowledge of Phenotype (what the animals LOOKS LIKE), and what type or breed you can be comfortable with so that you can really get down to brass tacks, and start to think three or more years ahead in your mating plans in order to establish the herd that you really want to have. I am sure that any of the experienced breeders on this Board will be willing to help you, now that you have seen the comparisons between optimal beef cattle and unacceptable one's.

By using Artificial Insemination and similar new technics, you can accelerate your breed improvement protocols and be making some profits YEARS before you could expect to do so with your present seedstock!

It could be an exciting time for you! I wish you GOOD LUCK!

DOC HARRIS

I have to ask: Does the dog Knersie have a bull terrier
pal? If so, is its name "gertjie"???

For some reason my pictures are not uploading. I get a message saying that my images uploaded successfully and then it says there were no images in this category.
Anyway I want to thank each of you for your most helpful pictures and advice. We are using a very good Charolais bull this breeding season so I hope we will get decent weaning weights. We used a LBW Angus bull until this season.
Again thank you for your help.

Mosho":1pp89d7b said:
For some reason my pictures are not uploading. I get a message saying that my images uploaded successfully and then it says there were no images in this category.
Anyway I want to thank each of you for your most helpful pictures and advice. We are using a very good Charolais bull this breeding season so I hope we will get decent weaning weights. We used a LBW Angus bull until this season.
Again thank you for your help.

Check your pixel size. The picture can't be more than 2048 x 2048 pixels in size. I had the same problem. It happens with newer cameras with hi resolution. Good luck.

OK Jeanne":19d9e4ra said:
I have to ask: Does the dog Knersie have a bull terrier
pal? If so, is its name "gertjie"???

You've got it right, Jeanne, the bulterrier in the avatar isn't Gertjie though.

Latest posts