every horse owners worst nightmare...

Help Support CattleToday:

Miss Daisy

Reaction score
...the horses are out. its dark, its cold enough for icicles in your nose, and one is an untrained mustang. couldnt catch him, couldnt get a rope on him, and had no way of running him into a pen. the only neighbors know nothing about horses and are shining flashlights in his eyes, panicking him more. when cornered, he blew up. amazingly enough, he made it back into his pasture on his own after an hour of "help". this was what i was doin at 10:00 last night. i am just thankful everything worked out. please make sure your fences are in good condition because even if there isnt a way out, they will find one. and have a back up plan, they dont always come to a grain bucket.

The last time the cows and horses got out at night it was a couple of summers ago and about 10 at night. The phone ringing woke me up and I thought it was the alarm and was all confused. Any how long story short the neighbor had been driving by and seen the animals out and had them corraled by the back lot and had two other trucks back there with their headlights on. Sorting and counting animals that late isn't ever fun. Glad things worked out.

The last time the cows and horses got out at night it was a couple of summers ago and about 10 at night. The phone ringing woke me up and I thought it was the alarm and was all confused. Any how long story short the neighbor had been driving by and seen the animals out and had them corraled by the back lot and had two other trucks back there with their headlights on. Sorting and counting animals that late isn't ever fun. Glad things worked out.

Miss Daisy":3vd2b1rz said:
please make sure your fences are in good condition because even if there isnt a way out, they will find one. and have a back up plan, they dont always come to a grain bucket.

At the risk of sounding harsh - which is not my intent - shouldn't this go without saying? Again, at the risk of sounding harsh, they find a way out of an adequate fence twice - they are history - I don't care what breed they are! I have better things to do than round up animals - it simply isn't happening. ;-) They will either respect a good fence, or they are gone - one or the other!

msscamp":1vtfzgk3 said:
Miss Daisy":1vtfzgk3 said:
please make sure your fences are in good condition because even if there isnt a way out, they will find one. and have a back up plan, they dont always come to a grain bucket.

At the risk of sounding harsh - which is not my intent - shouldn't this go without saying? Again, at the risk of sounding harsh, they find a way out of an adequate fence twice - they are history - I don't care what breed they are! I have better things to do than round up animals - it simply isn't happening. ;-) They will either respect a good fence, or they are gone - one or the other!

This is our rule also. No way to untrain one from getting out.

I've been around livestock all my life. I used to chase them in when they got out whatever it was cows horses pigs & ect.I made up my mind I'll never chase another thing.My neighbor called one night his pigs were out.I never fed them nothing.Are you chasing them they said yes. I made coffee took an hour .to get there.They were tired from chasing pigs! Get me a bucket of their feed & put in the container you feed them out of. I banged on that can called them.Put them away in 5 minutes.Whistle 1 time for cows or horses goodies over here. If I have to come get you trailers waiting & your gone to butcher shop.They come in on their own. I also give them some for comming back in. In large herds I don't think it would work. I always kept 1 as a pet. Call her everybody follows her.This also helps. The worse thing I've found about chasing is somebody who doesn't know anything about chasing cows horses or pigs (the worst thing to chase). They can unhelpfull

Latest posts