Ever have a cow fall into water tank?

Help Support CattleToday:

mystery74

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago my daughter walked into to do her chores for her 4-H steers and found that her 900lb. steer fell upside down in a 100 gallon water tank. he was not submerged and once we got him out he was soaking wet(obviously) and very shaky. we got him dried and warmed and have kept a close eye. however, his ears no longer are positioned the way they used to. they hang down like a dog. he is not running a fever and is still eating is there something else i should be worried about or looking for? This steer one champion in august as a starter calf and i would hate to lose him now before she finishes him.

No experience with this, however any cattle with droopy ears usually would mean an ear infection and have had some of those and it was not hard to get beyond that with pennicillin!?
Good luck!!

It never crossed my mind to consider an ear infection. this is the first time i have ever seen this kind of droopy ears, i sure do appreciate the advice . Is there anything i could see in the ear to know for sure that he has an ear infection?

I bet cattle can get water in their ears just like a person or dog from swimming does. My dog likes to swim and I always treat her afterwards with a good dose of Swimmer's Ear in each ear to dry out the ear canal.

I would call the vet and ask him about it. I know Swimmer's Ear contains isopropyl alcohol as the drying agent.

Geez, what an onery bugger--with getting in the water tank and all. They can really pull some good ones.

would that also cause him to shake his head like a dog more than usual? i thought is was because of the halter but now im thinking that he never did it before this incident

I am not aware that a person could see anything other than droopy ears? It is considered the same as a person with inner ear infection I believe! I would ask Vet for treatment recomendation's, as obviously in pain if shaking head?
Good luck!

You can not tell by looking if it is an inner ear infection, which should have him running a temp but should not be ruled out based on a normal temp. Swimmers ear is a fungus and alcohol should take care of it, does cause itching. I too would get a vets advice.

droopy ears is a good sign he aint feeling good. not necessarily a ear infection but usually they would have atleast a light temp....is his tail tucked too?... id put some auromycin crumbles in his feed. and keep a check on the temp

mystery74":23q80xdl said:
would that also cause him to shake his head like a dog more than usual? i thought is was because of the halter but now im thinking that he never did it before this incident

Definetly, just think how it is if you have water in your ears, only difference, Hooves dont grip the Q-Tip very well :lol:

Angie,
Swimmer's Ear is the name of the product that I use on my dog which contains the isopropyl alcohol--I was not referring to the name of the infection, but the product.

Yes, a dog will shake its head to get the water out, so I would definitely say that this is the reason your cow is shaking his head. I would immediately consult the vet to be sure it would be okay to put some of the drops in his ears and get them dried out ASAP, before it may turn into an ear infection.

LGodlove":hcmzvqpm said:
Angie,
Swimmer's Ear is the name of the product that I use on my dog which contains the isopropyl alcohol--I was not referring to the name of the infection, but the product.
Yep, I know.
I was refering to swimmers ear (the fungus) not Swimmers Ear (the med) ;-).