Ever Do This?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bez

Reaction score
Well, I had a couple of visitors last week and the semi-permanent guests arrived to stay a couple of days later.

As tough as it is here, one of my neighbours is in worse shape. He and his wife came to us and asked us to take in their cattle. They culled out the worst of them and sold them for almost 35 cents a pound (bred) - and brought the remnants over to our place. So now we have a patchwork quilt of animals in the winter pasture - Horned Herefords, Black Angus, Red Angus and a couple of "whatevers" that are tan in colour. Not too many - I think we have about 15 extra guests now. Not truly a big number, but on this operation it is an additional crowd.

Fortunately we have always run both herds of young cattle together on shared rented pasture and have always been on the same vaccination program. Their feed program and ours are identical. Like us they also run a closed herd - never buying off farm animals to keep the numbers up. So I am not worried about importing any troubles.

But it was sobering to see them sit at the table that day. So, I looked at wife and said - "What the h@ll, we can stretch the feed a bit - whadya' think?"

I figure it's gonna' be tight now - but I'll think of something - suspect I can scrounge some extra corn for nothing from another big hearted neighbour we know well - he and his wife are community minded folk - and I think there might have 40 bales of last years hay sitting unused at another place that I can get for a few bucks.

As it is I just gave a ton of corn fines and undersized corn to another fellow and his son for their few animals this morning.

Wife says - "Bring em on over."

They say - "Can't pay you anything"

Wife says - "Not an issue - bring em on over."

So, now we have some extra expenses - and it's gonna' hurt - but we just had a tough time letting this go. Heavens, when I think of the number of people waiting for money from me it is a bit daunting. What do you do when good folks come to you like this?

Anyway, off to feed them all and see how it goes.

Regards to all,

Bez

Bez,
God bless you.
Your a good man. Your setting an example for your children they never will forget.

Thanks for the kind words folks - I always live by "what goes around comes around". Believe you me I do have my faults - but - read on.

I have not mentioned a word of this to anyone in the local area - and the following happened - my telephone got fairly busy:

Neighbour with corn fines and undersized corn from the north of me had heard, and he supplied me with a couple of extra tons free of charge - I have never helped him in any big way.

Good news - that hay I mentioned is mine for free - that owner / neighbour has even decided to deliver it for me. Seems he has heard how things are going here.

Neighbour about 5 miles south of us has promised to bring me his CASE 5250 so I can feed the herd - all I have to do is fuel it and go. It's an all wheel drive, full cab (wonderful!) and more reliable than what is being used now. He will park it in my shop the day he is finished with it - probably Christmas Eve Day - or so he figures.

As I have said, I told no one - so it had to have come from a country mouse - :) - I am overwhelmed with help on this one.

Go figure .... all I basically have to do is provide the labour.

It's been a cold day, but it has been a good one.

Bez

Bez, I wish I had a neighbor like you! I pray the Lord above rewards your kindness. Best wishes...........george

I love to hear stuff like this-it just goes to show that there are some good folks around. This is what it's all about if people will just stop and look at the big picture. I wish you the best.

You're one HECK of a neighbor and an inspiration to other rancher Bez. I'm truly sorry for the situation up there with your cattle industry. Best of luck to you.

Bez said:
Thanks for the kind words folks - I always live by "what goes around comes around".

That is a favorite belief of mine. Another is " all things work to the good for those that love the Lord".

Bez, You are all right, Ever get tired of the cold up there, I would personally be glad to welcome you to Arkansas! :) :cboy:

Way to go Bez.... You and your neighors are sure lucky to have each other to get through the hard times... Good luck!

Thats how blessings work. You were a blessing to your neighbors & everybody else wants to help bless you for your willingness to take the step & help out & they in turn will get their blessings also for helping you. The Lord works wonders to bring people together when there is a need! I am grateful for that in my life. God bless you & your wife.. Have a blessed Christmas!

You may want to consider feeding soy hulls, if you are close to a soy processor. I know that there is one in Hamilton and another in Windsor. Cattle love the taste of them and they are generally cheaper than corn or hay.

By the way, if they offer pelleted hulls I'd pay a premium for them. Loose hulls are very light and will blow away if it is windy. Also, you can get more weight in the truck with pelleted hulls which will make your freight per ton of feed cheaper.

Well UG - soy hulls are about a 18 hour round trip for me to go after so I will pass on them.

Have a bunch of corn and hay here. One very good neighbour and friend has provided literally tons of corn fines and broken corn for me.

We will make it.

Best to all,

Bez

Latest posts