Ethics at the sale barn

Help Support CattleToday:

I guess things may be a little different here in Colorado. Fall through Spring the sales here run several thousand cattle a week and a majority of the cattle are from local stockmen, home raised, one iron. It's just how most cattle are marketed around here. From reading others posts from back east it seems like the quality and reputation of the cattle out here must be higher in general at the sale??

Preg checking a Cow doesn't mean much, the slaughter buyers frequently buy pregnant cows here if the price is right, if the quality or something is too good a rancher will buy it. Quality and price determine where an animal winds up. We have enough buyers here that see several thousand Cattle a week sell and trade a lot of cattle themselves that it is tough to misrepresent an animal. People seem to know what's going on.

Our bred cow sales Fall-Spring do have trader cattle and I buy them, they also have a lot of local Cows that for various reasons are being sold. I am happy they are so picky or have a habit to trade Cows in here. You can also buy breeding bulls in the spring by the pound the same way and get a long pretty good.

Auctions are there to market cattle for the seller, part of that is doing their job to also have happy buyers. You can't have much of a sale if buyers aren't there and willing. A few people get ripped off, they generally learn pretty quick.

Latest posts