Ethanol loosing steam??

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
For many, ethanol is losing steam as biofuel of choice
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/bus ... 04371.html

By LOREN STEFFY
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

BP, the oil patch's self-proclaimed king of green, says it sells more ethanol than anybody. But it doesn't produce a drop.

And it doesn't plan to.

"We're not in the ethanol production business," BP's chief executive, Tony Hayward, told me last week. "What we'd like to do is get to the next generation of biofuels."

BP blends ethanol as an additive in its gasoline and is embarking on a program to sell E85 ethanol (an alternative fuel that is 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline) through many of its stations in the Midwest.

But it doesn't see ethanol as the answer to the alternative fuel question.

Corn-based ethanol, which the government touts as the best substitute for gasoline, may already be losing its luster as a fuel of the future. Increasingly skeptical reports question its efficiency, energy output, emissions and economics.

Archer Daniels Midland, the world's biggest ethanol maker, last month reported its slowest earnings growth in a year and a half because rising corn prices undercut ethanol profits.

That hasn't dampened ethanol production, though. ADM, for example, plans to increase its production capacity by 50 percent next year, to 1.6 billion gallons, the company said.

This year, capacity is expected to expand by 7.1 million gallons a day, according to a Lehman Bros. study released in late April. That increased production may surpass demand by year's end, the study found.

Part of the problem is that once it's produced, it's difficult to get ethanol where it needs to go. It can't be transported through conventional pipelines, and its cost benefits are based on government subsidies that do more for the farm lobby than the average driver.

Most ethanol is blended into conventional gasoline to reduce emissions in polluted cities such as Houston. BP, for example, blended more than 700 million gallons of ethanol into its U.S. gasoline last year, said Bob Malone, head of BP America.

Conflict of interest
BP also plans to become one of the biggest sellers of E85. It's widely available in the Midwest and locally in some locations. But E85 has been slow to catch on, even among drivers of flex-fuel vehicles.

Critics argue that ethanol requires more energy to make than it produces when burned, and its carbon dioxide emissions aren't significantly lower than gasoline.

Ethanol "actually doesn't at the end of the day make much difference in terms of CO2," Hayward said. "And of course it has serious issues with competing with the food source."

The price of corn for July delivery rose almost 10 percent last week, to $4.19 a bushel. Corn prices have surged 80 percent in the past year and in February hit their highest point in more than a decade when they topped $4.50 a bushel.

It's not just corn that's more expensive, though. As I mentioned in Sunday's column, higher corn prices are driving up food prices on almost every aisle of the grocery store. Food costs for consumers rose almost 4 percent in May compared with a year earlier, according to the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics. Only energy and medical expenses rose more.

More harm than good?
While it may be contributing to inflation, ethanol isn't doing much to address our oil dependency. It accounted for less than 4 percent of the U.S. gasoline supply last year, and the current domestic corn crop, in its entirety, couldn't produce enough ethanol to match our gasoline demand, according to a March report by the Congressional Research Service.

At the moment, only 17 percent of the U.S. corn crop goes to making ethanol, the report said. To meet our energy demands with ethanol would require millions more acres devoted to growing corn, which raises its own environmental concerns.

At the same time, an increase in the number of ethanol plants in Iowa during the past six years has led to increased air, water and soil pollution, the Des Moines Register reported this month.

A step on the path
Most scientists believe no single fuel will replace oil. Instead, we'll rely on a blend of sources. Ethanol may be one step in that evolution, but it's a baby step.

That's why BP is investing $500 million for research into the next generation of biofuels. The company has set up the Energy Biosciences Institute with the University of California at Berkeley and the University of Illinois.

"What the world needs is a plant that grows fast, doesn't need water" and has "high cellulose lactose density, lots of sugar," Hayward said. The task is for scientists to create it.

But we already know part of the answer to the biofuel question: It isn't ethanol.

Loren Steffy is the Chronicle's business columnist. His commentary appears Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Contact him at [email protected] . His blog is at http://blogs.chron.com/lorensteffy/.

I think it's losing steam. Last winter it was announced that there would be two plants built in Oklahoma near railroad terminals. So far they haven't been built. There's just no infastructre in this state for ethanol. It can't be shipped in the same pipelines as gasoline or oil. It would have to be trucked in and trucks burn diesel. So what's the point? It would cost a lot of money to put in that extra tank and pump at stations across the state. And I doubt Oklahoma is the only state lacking infastructure for ethanol.

I just heard an announcement of another ethonal plant going in in missouri

Ethanol was merely a quick fix by the politicians so they could say they did something about the energy problem.

What needs doing is to speed R+D on the trees into ethanol program. We grow pine trees down here like folks in Missouri grow grass. And ultimately at lower cost(for a variety of reasons) than corn. There is a 50 or 51 cent or something subsidy on every gallon of corn ethanol produced. Zero per gallon on wood fiber ethanol. What up?

dun":w4u5w9h5 said:
I just heard an announcement of another ethonal plant going in in missouri

There's like 50 :shock: Under construction or expanding in the US. :(

There are 3 going up within 50 miles of me, so atleast in Ohio it isn't losing any steam. Which is good for me, because our corn prices are higher then they used to be.

Ethanol is a replacement for MTBE which has been banned due to being a known carcinagen. At least that is where I think it fits the best. Use a 10% blend. There is no need for new pumps nor is there any need to alter existing vehicles as they will all perform quite well on a 10% ethanol blend. I don't think that we can produce enough ethanol to reach 10% of our fuel useage but I do think it's a reasonable target, unlike E85 which creates a whole new set of issues. Ethanol is here to stay, like it or not. And I am sure that the business writer in the Houston paper knows who reads his column and it isn't ethanol producers. The CEO of BP who "isn't in the ethanol production business" is the same CEO who heads a company that is realizing profits that can be called obscene but yet refuses to expand their refinery capacity. He is in the business of making money, and he is doing it better than ever before, and using a product that he doesn't profit from will not help his bottom line. What will power the future? Oil will be the base and other products will be used to enhance it. As for now, ethanol is it. Will there be others? Probably, but whatever it might be it sure is late coming to this party. It's time to quit slamming ethanol and realize that we are lucky it's available. What would the price of gasoline be without ethanol?

easy":2zt8kk1w said:
I don't think that we can produce enough ethanol to reach 10% of our fuel useage...

Given that 4% of our fuel consumed was ethanol in 2006, making 10% is going to be an easy target with the number of plants coming online in 2007-early 2008. The real issue is deploying the infrastructure necessary to consume more than 10%

easy":2zt8kk1w said:
What would the price of gasoline be without ethanol?

Probably not any different than what it is now. The current 4% utilization is not enough to have a significant impact on the market.

sjeffery":y2cm8x1t said:
easy":y2cm8x1t said:
I don't think that we can produce enough ethanol to reach 10% of our fuel useage...

Given that 4% of our fuel consumed was ethanol in 2006, making 10% is going to be an easy target with the number of plants coming online in 2007-early 2008. The real issue is deploying the infrastructure necessary to consume more than 10%

easy":y2cm8x1t said:

Probably not any different than what it is now. The current 4% utilization is not enough to have a significant impact on the market.

Gasoline prices started dropping here on Memorial Day. They dropped almost 10 cents from the Friday to Monday of that big holiday weekend ($3.37 to $3.27). So much for supply and demand. It's been going down steadily every since, just as summer driving season starts. Down to $2.85 most places now.

Frankie":1bhnbd4s said:
sjeffery":1bhnbd4s said:
easy":1bhnbd4s said:

easy":1bhnbd4s said:

Gasoline prices started dropping here on Memorial Day. They dropped almost 10 cents from the Friday to Monday of that big holiday weekend ($3.37 to $3.27). So much for supply and demand. It's been going down steadily every since, just as summer driving season starts. Down to $2.85 most places now.

Are you complaining about lower prices now? :lol:

Frankie,

If you were responding to my post then I think you overestimate the impact ethanol can have. There are many more factors that affect gasoline prices such as refinery utilization, global tensions, strikes, weather, season, etc than just ethanol production.

If you want to lower your use of oil you should be talking about plastic. Just Plastic pop and water bottles takes billions of barrels of il every year to make.
I would rather have cheaper prices at the pump than plastic. Whats wrong with glass? Make the Hippies drink from glass bottles and give us truck driven red necks a break at the pump!

Latest posts