ET calf with joint ill?

Help Support CattleToday:

shadyhollownj

Reaction score
So my recip from star lake calved sunday afternoon. Calving went ok. Calf was hip locked and hanging out of her for about a 90 seconds before falling out. Calf was a big bull calf 92 lbs. Everything was fine until I got home from the PA farm show at 9 pm on monday. I walked out to check them in their pen and he got up and fell over. My heart sank since his flush mates averaged 21,000. Though maybe he got stepped on or something since he was only 30 hours old. The next morning he was limping on back leg and knee was swollen. Called the vet he said 4cc of pennG twice daily. Temp was 103 and dropped by the next day. We also gave he banamine in the tail vein also. He can get up and walk and nurses but just walks gingerly but is a lot better than tuesday. I researched every post on here and hit him with nuflor today since I was thinking that would work better but we went with the vets advice on tuesday. He had fresh bedding and mom was licking cord so I didnt dip it. I was just curious if anyone thinks this would affect him later in life as far as walking when we treated so soon and he is showing improvement and joint or navel isnt swollen. Any advice would help since he is definitely not normal calf and a future herd bull. Thanks guys.

Trouble is most wintering pastures are muddy and good ones were over seeded in september so I dont wanna put cows out there. They are in a three sided shed with access to small lot with two other pairs. I opened their door today so he could get out with the other two pairs but was afraid he would lay in some mud somewhere before the cord dried. Its mostly clay around here and has rained every week.

Lets just say Im not raising ET calves for steers so he will get a chance. Obviously genetics, parents, and siblings dont mean anything. Thanks for your two cents and not on the the question at hand.

30 hours seems quite early for it to hit his joints, but we've only had a couple cases. You've got quite a bit of money invested already, don't spare it now.

shadyhollownj":2dcuoc4c said:
Lets just say Im not raising ET calves for steers so he will get a chance. Obviously genetics, parents, and siblings dont mean anything. Thanks for your two cents and not on the the question at hand.

You are right buzzwords like "genetics" don't mean a whole lot when lots of feed and 5 star promotion are involved. Let us know if you are still "STAR STRUCK" a couple years from now.

Hope the calf recovers and works out for ya.

Treat him several days longer than you think you need to.... I've had a few too many relapses.

Yes, they can relapse several times but, if you are vigilant, you will win in the end. A couple of mls of dex would be very helpful in my opinion?

Thanks for the replies. I am gonna give 6 cc subq tomorrow of nuflor and continue the penn g for at least ten days. on a side note this recip from star lake has terrible teats but milks like a dairy. He is only eating off two teats cause the other two are huge. I am not impressed once again.

I'm beginning to think I should have stayed home for the dispersal of a lifetime as some said. Hopefully it will work out. Bred heifer and ten embryos to go.

shadyhollownj":ksyza8o5 said:
I'm beginning to think I should have stayed home for the dispersal of a lifetime as some said. Hopefully it will work out. Bred heifer and ten embryos to go.
We bought three bred cows from a major dispersal. 2 of them when they calved turned out to not be AI bred to who they claimed and the third was open. They all calved the next year, LATE. The third one is leaving this week, open this year as were the first two.

shadyhollownj":193wbtzk said:
I was just curious if anyone thinks this would affect him later in life as far as walking when we treated so soon

I had a bottle calf I brought home from work quite a number of years ago (Blk Angus). By 3 days old I could see she was having navel ill issues much like your calf. I treated agressively, and as Milkmaid suggested, longer than the "standard" protocol. She healed well, and while her front knee (technically wrist) remained slightly larger than the other for almost a year, she remained sound and healthy. By the time she grew off the joint looked normal. She went on to be a very productive member of my herd for many years.

Katherine

Some people have no clue! Yes, genetics DO mean a lot. shadyhollownj knows that not all male calves are bull quality - but - with his pedigree - yes, he is going to "hope" he turns out to be bull prospect.

So calf is walking ok now and joint isnt swollen at all and no fever. Did the four days of pennG, four days of nuflour 3cc and 6cc subq. Gonna start penng tomorrow again to make sure we dont get a relapse.

Ok so stopped penicillin about 36 hours ago. Went out today calf had diarrhea kinda pasty yellowish. It doesnt look like scours but I've never had it in a calf just goats. Could he really have scours after 14 days of antibiotics. He is up nursing but seems a little off. He has been getting probiotics and I gave him scour-halt tonight. I will see tomorrow what he is like. I gotta take his temp tomorrow couldnt find the thermometer tonight.

shadyhollownj":2j5ytfae said:
Ok so stopped penicillin about 36 hours ago. Went out today calf had diarrhea kinda pasty yellowish. It doesnt look like scours but I've never had it in a calf just goats. Could he really have scours after 14 days of antibiotics. He is up nursing but seems a little off. He has been getting probiotics and I gave him scour-halt tonight. I will see tomorrow what he is like. I gotta take his temp tomorrow couldnt find the thermometer tonight.

It could just be that he's feeling better and finally hitting that cow's udder more than he was. But check him!

Latest posts