ET calf with joint ill?

Help Support CattleToday:

We were giving them every other day Jeanne except the last few days was everyday. I seen him poop today it was normal calf texture but still the colstrum yellow. He still seems a little off but im sure that has to do with all the shots. He seems to be walking better. He seemed real clumsy since he was born. I dont know if that was cause of his heavy weight and frame wise he is super tall. He seems to be growing into his frame better now.

If you haven't done so already give a shot of vitamin A & D. It will boost the immune system and help with diarrhea. Give a shot to every newborn that you have. Also, a shot of Selenium and E is good for the immune system and the joints (may help the clumsiness/stiffness) just check with a vet before giving selenium - it can be toxic in large amounts so depending on how much selenium is in your area. Hope the rest of them go well for you.

We give Bose to all our calves. He hasnt had diarrhea for two days. Must have just been the stopping of the antibiotics. Thanks.

He is doing good must have just been all the shots making him lethargic. He was running around with the other calves today. Hopefully he stays that way. Thanks for asking.

I hope he stays that way too. :) If he was my calf I would probably wrap in up in bubble wrap so he wouldn't get hurt. :lol: How is the other animal you purchased doing?

She is still as flighty as the day she got here. I dont like that at all being that she is a heifer. If she doesnt calm down eventually she is getting flushed and then getting the boot.

shadyhollownj":31imri7p said:
She is still as flighty as the day she got here. I dont like that at all being that she is a heifer. If she doesnt calm down eventually she is getting flushed and then getting the boot.
Just remember that temperament is heritable! You may be asking for a bunch of nutty embryos.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3cbu3v5w said:
shadyhollownj":3cbu3v5w said:
Just remember that temperament is heritable! You may be asking for a bunch of nutty embryos.

Yup!!! :tiphat:

I've had a few that were flighty but was able to work with the calves so they were fine. For the money I spent which was a lot for me I think I would take the chance. I hear what your saying though.

So this calf is driving me up a wall. He seems fine sometimes but then other times he doesnt get up and holds his head down. I have been out in the barnyard a lot the past two days and have noticed he just isnt the same as the other calves. He doesnt have a temp, swollen joints, diarrhea, or anything like that. He is just every lethargic, doesnt run around with the other calves, sometimes doesnt even lift his head to look at you when you go out to feed. When I went out to feed tonight he didnt even get up to nurse when every other calf was. He is nursing cause I seen him earlier. He is urinating also. I dont know what to do with him at this point. I mean do I give some B, DEX or something else? I have never had a calf act like this ever. I gotta call the vet again tomorrow to see what he thinks.

Calf seems to be doing well. Chewing his cud everyday and moving well. Growing in to his frame that I thought looked awkward but found out on another post that a big boned calf isnt a bad thing. After the second day on the second round of nuflor no symptoms. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Just thought I would give an update for future searches.

Latest posts