Estimating Holstein Steer Weight

Help Support CattleToday:

RichieMaGoo

Reaction score
Hi, Everybody!

I'm a former New York City "boy" living in KY.

I started raising Holstein bottle calves back in January, and I think I'm doing O-K (1 death out of 26 calves...and that was only because I think someone passed off a sale barn calf on me!)

I haven't been able to find a place to purchase a weigh tape yet....so I'm wondering if you guys can help me figure out a way of estimating the weight of my steers?

If anyone can provide detailed instructions on measuring girth and calculating the weight, that would be great.

Also, if anyone has any approximate info on how much a holstein steer should weigh at various ages (by month) I would greatly appreciate it....as well as any other tips for estimating weight.

My calves, once weaned at 5 weeks, get about 3.5 pounds of 12% feed + all the grass/hay they can eat. My oldest current calf is just coming up on about 6 months of age, and I think he has to weigh somewhere between 400-500 lbs. (My neighbor- who has a herd of 140 beef cows thinks so too). Some of you may think that that's too little feed...but everyone who comes to my place admires my steers!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Richie

Thanks, guys!

I like to buy and sell privately- so a tape will help me insure that I give my customers an accurate weight! (and keep me from cheating myself, too)

RichieMaGoo":3hcb2vk4 said:
Thanks, guys!

I like to buy and sell privately- so a tape will help me insure that I give my customers an accurate weight! (and keep me from cheating myself, too)
I'd hate to trust a tape, I'd rather have a scale doing the work. Maybe you'll come out on your Calves, and can find a good deal on a used one.

Latest posts