Estate sale

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
I'm seeing a new thing with the estate sales, the people are still alive. We've been to 2 that the home owners are moving and just dont want to take all their stuff. So they have an estate sale. Not that it matters to me, i just want stuff cheap.
We went to one last weekend where i got around 200 canning jars for 15 dollars. But, my best purchase was a pair of new carhart coveralls, .............10 bucks! I've procrastinated all winter in getting a new pair. My old ones were done, zipper broke a couple winters ago so i had to wear another coat over it. The legs were worn half way up mid calf.. Got them just in time too. I also bought the guys library, i mean, i bought all of it. Paid 30 bucks for hundreds of books. Wished i hadnt, but i did. We got our monies worth from just a few books we want to keep..but i have hundreds i have to do something with.
While i was wheeling and dealing inside, my husband bought a truck. 4 door, 4wd, diesel 2004 for 7600...Its a nice nice truck, fully loaded. It was the last hour of the sale and actually, no one saw the truck for sale.
Oh, i also got a wooden ladder for 5 bucks. I'm going to use it for my xmas tree. You put boards between the middle, arrange the little xmas houses on them. And you put a small tree on top. Couldn't believe my luck! We got tons of other things too....we didnt need tons of other things but other than the books, most of what we bought we needed..

Now all you have to do is spend 4-5k more, and y'all will have a good truck. Google 6.0 power stroke, you'll have plenty of reading. Ford hasn't recovered from that engine yet, and the only way they ever will is if Ram screws something up bad.
With all that being said, y'all still got a good deal. Just need to bullet proof the engine. It will blow the head gaskets if you tow with it.

Its not 6.0 It is a 6.uh oh and I have one. Last Ford I will ever own. They couldn't find one thing wrong with it until I hit 100K. Then the computer found all kinds of problems.

Haven't bullet proofed it. Just use it to pull G/N a few times each year. 1 ton 4 door 4WD. Mostly just sitting.

Seems "Estate Sale" is the new catch phrase for "Garage Sale" or "Rummage Sale". Has a more classy ring to it like you're going to get really high quality stuff.

The still alive "estate sale" is gaining popularity here. Good way to clean out the closet. If I wasn't 44 years old, I'd give it a whirl.

There seems to be more of them here too. Lots of times though the stuff is still real high if they are alive. After your dead the kids dont care about your stuff theyll just about give it away.

A lot of the problems with the 6.0 is the EGR cooler, which can mimick a head gasket leak.. Get a new on from BD on it and that will already solve a lot of problems...

This one got a new motor at 100,000 and only has 140,000 now. It's going to be a grandkid truck to cart them around when we have a group of them at once. It may pull a trailer occasionally.

Might still have the old, weak EGR cooler.. before you tear into the engine (if.. er, when that happens).. check the EGR cooler first :)

Living estate sales are getting popular in Middle GA. I went to one and bought some Waterford Crystal to add to my collection. I plan to have a sale while I am still living so I will know where my things go and get paid what they are worth. My daughter is too busy to worry with it.

most of what your seeing now is people moving from big houses to smaller 1s.with not much room for their belongings.plus the fact people dont pass down their belongings to family like they used to.

bigbull338":2jpvkt6i said:
most of what your seeing now is people moving from big houses to smaller 1s.with not much room for their belongings.plus the fact people dont pass down their belongings to family like they used to.
None of that happening out here. People seem to just keep building larger and larger houses.

We've been to two estate sales where the owners were living, one was a sale and one was an auction. The auction, the couple just decided to up and leave. I had known this couple for years and their daughter was daughters best friend in school.. It was weird, really weird. Our daughters friend was there, they were selling a lot of the things her parents kept from her childhood. All that was for sale too. I leaned over to B and whispered, "This is odd".....She burst into tears and said she didnt understand. Her parents were leaving behind the wife's 90+ old father who was alone and the youngest daughter who is married. They moved to Virginia i think, somewhere up in therr....We bought a few things, one was that commercial bread rack i made into a dehydrator. I try to buy things i'll use or things i know i can sell on ebay. Although at the last sale the head guy suggested we must be horders.... :shock:
Nesikep, questioned my husband on the EGR doohickey...He went into great detail for which i mostly heard blah blah blah....But, he's well aware of it. Right now he's replacing the ball joints and some other front end things. He said he doesnt know if the EGR was replaced when the new engine was put in, if it was after market, or ford part, or if its even there. He said he'll get to it after he gets the front end done. The old guy who we bought the truck from is a long time neighbor. His son worked for Ford and got him a new motor right before the warrenty went out. Said it was starting to smoke, and i believe they said thats what happens before its dead from the EGR thingie..? Anywho, considering its trade in value is 15,000 or so, 7,600 was a stinkin steal. We considered buying a truck like this a few months ago, but i did not want a big truck to be what i drive and i didnt want to spend 50,000 for a new one. We ended up getting a Subaru Forrester, which i love. Its great on our junk roads.

The oil cooler is the main problem it gets clogged up. Then it causes the EGR cooler to fail. The 6.0 needs to be deleted and an aftermarket oil cooler installed. Believe it or not Hook is a very knowledgeable 6.0 man. Maybe he'll chime in he's been through it all on a 6.0.

I came up with an idea as to what i'll do with some of the books i bought. There are around 50+ readers digest hardbound novels. They are about 1 1/2 inches thick. I'm working on a way to hollow them out and make them into book safes. Working on one now between cow runs. Im going to coat the inside of the hollowed out place with some of the plastics we bought for my invention. If i can come up with a fast easy way to hollow them out, i'll sell on etsy or ebay..

Latest posts