EPD significance

Help Support CattleToday:

raykleykamp

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first post but have read the boards virtually everyday for a couple of years. My question is -- For a cow/calf operation, does the yearling weight EPD of your herd sire have any significance if one is selling all their calves at six months of age?

I feel that the YW has significance primarily because it will get you return customers for your calves. But as so many things are, it is dependant on how you market them.

dun

ray.....,

Yes.

We are an Alaska heart beat away(because of eid)from the feeder lots and terminal folks knowing who the producer is and how their animals perform and grade. The info will be fed back and the producer could be redlined in future sales by the local buyers...or at least signficantly impacted on price paid. Many folks are missing the boat, I'm afraid, by not moving ahead with herd upgradeing now. Time is short.

if you use Angus cattle, the $indexes were made just for you.

in the most simple terms:
$W - indicates how much the cow/calf producer should make
$F - indicates how much will be made after they buy your feeders through the feedlot.
$G - indicates the value of your calves after the feedlot, when they are processed for their meat value.
$B - indicates how much will be made by the person who buys your feeder calves and owns them through $F AND $G time periods.

if you are just worried about your profits and nobody else's, maximize $W. if you want buyers to be satisfied customers and try to make a profit, find a nice mix of them all (higher being better for all 4).

dun":xl0vjscr said:
I feel that the YW has significance primarily because it will get you return customers for your calves.

I think that's the only answer you need. Very well stated, dun.