Claw & Angle EPD

Help Support CattleToday:

Hunter

Reaction score
Would you buy a bull that had EPD of 80%+ in both or one of these two categories?

Are those results based only on the algorithm/pedigree or are there actual records turned in? Have you or can you inspect the bull yourself?
EPDs are a tool. If the bull hits the mark in other ways and you are breeding to solid footed cowherd then . . . .

Would you buy a bull that had EPD of 80%+ in both or one of these two categories?
I probably would not with the information given. However, depending on the accuracy% of the bull, and the claw, angle EPDs/accuracy of his sire and dam might make a difference. I also double check foot scores, if available, on the sire/dam with Angus Australia. Most acquire EPD of .8 for a reason.

Those are just the algo numbers and I can view it prior but to be honest I am not sure I would know what I am looking for.
The sire is GAR Sure Fire.

Sure Fire (In Sure/5050 bull) is at +.53 (.50 being average, from what I remember) for Claw epd. 75 percentile (bottom 25% of the breed) for Angus Claw Score.. .85 accuracy (pretty high accuracy). His Angle EPD is +.43, top 20% of breed. That seems to be the tendency also from Angus Australia scoring... bad claws, good angle. Dam of the bull you're looking at must be contributing to the worse EPD's ??

It's a subjective score that can be manipulated by the producer (like most of them, but still...). I look at a lot of the big sales and see knee deep hay, and I wonder why anyone would buy any bull in those conditions, but folks line up.

Sure Fire (In Sure/5050 bull) is at +.53 (.50 being average, from what I remember) for Claw epd. 75 percentile (bottom 25% of the breed) for Angus Claw Score.. .85 accuracy (pretty high accuracy). His Angle EPD is +.43, top 20% of breed. That seems to be the tendency also from Angus Australia scoring... bad claws, good angle. Dam of the bull you're looking at must be contributing to the worse EPD's ??

Yeah, it doesn't appear to be the best. When I looked at them last weekend I didn't think the feet looked horrible. Maybe more like 4 or 6 pic that was in the link that Stickney94 sent.

It's a subjective score that can be manipulated by the producer (like most of them, but still...). I look at a lot of the big sales and see knee deep hay, and I wonder why anyone would buy any bull in those conditions, but folks line up.
I completely agree about buying bulls from operations that dont make their animals work for it, but producers being intentionally deceptive might be a bit of an overreach. They might not get the number exactly right but I have not met a known seedstock producer yet that just makes it up. (I'm sure it happens but making it sound like a portion of them are dishonest, is not reality when it's maybe 1 in 1000)