EPD Questions Please Assist this new member!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Say I've got a herd of Herefords and I'm trying to decide which bull to breed with them.
Are EPD's the best way to choose your bull?
How popular are EPD's, are there many who don't believe they are useful? Do you use them?
If I cross a Hereford with a Hereford Bull with an EPD of 3.3 for Birth weight, do I get the same value as if I crossed it with an Angus Bull with an EPD of 3.3 for Birth weight?

EPDs are a valuable tool, but they are just 1 tool in the box. Before selecting a bull I try to figure out what will work best to make balanced cattle with MY cows. The physical aspects come first, then EPDs. 3.3 for a Hereford and 3.3 for an angus are different values because they are based on different bases.
There used to be a table available for comparing EPDs between breeds but I haven;t seen it in years

dun":np4yu9k6 said:
EPDs are a valuable tool, but they are just 1 tool in the box. Before selecting a bull I try to figure out what will work best to make balanced cattle with MY cows. The physical aspects come first, then EPDs. 3.3 for a Hereford and 3.3 for an angus are different values because they are based on different bases.
There used to be a table available for comparing EPDs between breeds but I haven;t seen it in years

Found one from a few years back but AAA just changed their methodology so the old table is apparently no longer valid: https://www.angus.org/Nce/AcrossBreedEp ... spx#table1

boondocks":1y13xga3 said:
dun":1y13xga3 said:

Found one from a few years back but AAA just changed their methodology so the old table is apparently no longer valid: https://www.angus.org/Nce/AcrossBreedEp ... spx#table1
The most recent I found was 2015 but that won;t be correct now.

HonoredCattlemen":3pwe8p47 said:
If I cross a Hereford with a Hereford Bull with an EPD of 3.3 for Birth weight, do I get the same value as if I crossed it with an Angus Bull with an EPD of 3.3 for Birth weight?
A bit confused by the wording of your question.
Crossbred cattle do not receive epd values, so while a H x H or A x A offspring would receive an epd value A x H won't.

But the simple answer to your question is No.
However adjustments can be estimated.

Hereford calves on average weigh more than angus calves.
To make it more confusing heterosis from crossbreeding increases birth weights.
Then add in that some breed crosses generate more heterosis than crossing other breeds.
And to top it off in some cases, such as Brahman, which breed is female and which is male plays a big role to make it even more difficult and we haven't even gotten to the epd accuracy of the sire and dam in question.

That should help to make it all as clear as mud for you. :)
You Are :welcome:

Latest posts