EPD question

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
How do we figure BW epd ( or others) ?

For example

I breed a 5.9 BW bull to a 5.4 BW cow what does this come out to on the calfs epd?How do you figure it.?

And how many calves reported on a sire make him proven?

Thanks JHH

JHH":i3xvaw6n said:
How do we figure BW epd ( or others) ?

For example

I breed a 5.9 BW bull to a 5.4 BW cow what does this come out to on the calfs epd?How do you figure it.?

And how many calves reported on a sire make him proven?

Thanks JHH

For a PE (Pedigree Estimate) the two figures would averaged.

Some peoples "Proven" is different to others.

A High Accuracy number would be "Proven".

For rough EPDs you average the sire and dam. In this case that would be 5.7.
I don;t believe it's strictly a number of calves deal for accuracy. Anything below .75 for accuracy isn;t really proven, in my book anyway. I think it has to do with number of sffspring and number of herds. Fewer calves in more herds may generate higher accuracy then more claves all in one herd.

dun

typically an animal's epd's can be predicted by averaging the parents' epd's. this will give you a pretty good estimate.

on the other hand, if the epd's are calculated after the animal in question has performance data (for example, most animals have birth weight information submitted when registering), and the performance data is skewed to one side or the other (really high birthweight which wasn't predicted by the epd's), the epd can also be shifted from just an average.

as everyone else has said, you can estimate a calf's epd (or ebv as we call them) by averaging the parent's values.
The accuracies, given as percentage, vary depending on the amount of information available to calculate the ebv. The higher the accuracy, the lower the likelihood of change in the ebv as more performance information is gathered on the animal and its relatives. Also, siginifcantly more information is required to take an accuracy from 90-92% than is required to take it from 40-50%. EBV's are based on the animal's own performance plus that of all known relatives. The values can adjust for many environmental factors which also contribute to an animal's growth rate. Group Breedplan assesses common sires which form genetic links between herds. This then allows for further information to be assessed for individual animals based on how relatives in different conditions and programs are performing.

txag":1xp7ru1g said:
typically an animal's epd's can be predicted by averaging the parents' epd's. this will give you a pretty good estimate.

on the other hand, if the epd's are calculated after the animal in question has performance data (for example, most animals have birth weight information submitted when registering), and the performance data is skewed to one side or the other (really high birthweight which wasn't predicted by the epd's), the epd can also be shifted from just an average.

Ok Thanks everyone

But what happens when the Herf cows that are registered (but dont have data sent in on them (pedigree breeder) or have had their sires or dams data collected) This really complicates things I would guess. You would be getting EPDs on your registed cows that is not acurrate. Is this right?

I understand the accuracy part of it. These cows would have really low acc like .10 instead of .35 ( right)

The reason I am asking all these questions is the BW thing.
I bought 6 heifers that were bred 2 years ago that were bred by High birth weight bull (5.0) This is when I new nothing about EPDs or even what it stood for. They all calved unassisted with avg BW calves ( avg 81 lbs) BUT his acc was .10

Was I just lucky or what. JHH

JHH":5x2l1llk said:
But what happens when the Herf cows that are registered (but dont have data sent in on them (pedigree breeder) or have had their sires or dams data collected) This really complicates things I would guess. You would be getting EPDs on your registed cows that is not acurrate. Is this right?

I understand the accuracy part of it. These cows would have really low acc like .10 instead of .35 ( right)

these cows would have low accuracy and the data for their epd calculations would come from relatives/ancestors instead of their own performance. no different from a young animal that hasn't produced any offspring.

JHH":5x2l1llk said:
I bought 6 heifers that were bred 2 years ago that were bred by High birth weight bull (5.0) This is when I new nothing about EPDs or even what it stood for. They all calved unassisted with avg BW calves ( avg 81 lbs) BUT his acc was .10

what were the heifers bw epd's? they influence the calves' weights as well.

remember, epd's are just a tool and just a comparison.....they'll never tell you what a calf will weigh.

txag":7egqtctq said:
JHH":7egqtctq said:

these cows would have low accuracy and the data for their epd calculations would come from relatives/ancestors instead of their own performance. no different from a young animal that hasn't produced any offspring.

JHH":7egqtctq said:

what were the heifers bw epd's? they influence the calves' weights as well.

remember, epd's are just a tool and just a comparison.....they'll never tell you what a calf will weigh.

They didnt have any epd in the boxes when I got the papers, They just sent me their epds after I turned in the BW and WW papers listed on a sheet as dam production summery and had the Pedigree epds listed. I just didnt see how they could give me any kind of idea on BW epd when you havent had any reported on anything but grand sires and dams and some of them werent reported.

I know that it is just a tool and wont tell me the birthweight but I would like to report correct data and be able to tell my cleint ( when and if I ever get any) kind of what to expect.

The guy I bought the heifers from said I wouldnt have any trouble as long as the calf wasnt backwards or something odd like that. Dont know how he could have known, or why he would have told me something like that.

JHH

Latest posts