EPD Followers What's Your Priorities

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":psv8uf86 said:
SPH said it right about EPD's being just ONE of the tools we should be using. For me, first is phenotype. I don't expect an ugly bull to produce what I am looking for. Then I try to see offspring to see if he passes on the traits I'm interested in - especially STRUCTURE. This usually means calling other breeders that get around the country and SEE the offspring walking. Pictures help, but you really can't see the structure properly. Then if everything else pans out, I check out the EPD's. I print off a sheet of my cows with pedigree & EPD's. Then the matching begins, picturing in my mind what the cow LOOKS like and what I need to change on her to give me the "perfect" calf.
We all know there is NO perfect calf. But, that is what I try to create by mating.
Edit: The "perfect" calf for me (or any breeder) may be totally different than the perfect calf in someone else's mind.

The 1 thing I will add is that we do factor in EPDs in our decisions, especially when it comes to CE and BW but it's just 1 of many selection criteria and is not where we start our selection but it may factor into the decision later. We bred and kept semen interest on a bull that by EPD standards is on the higher end for BW but we know enough about the genetics behind him that we think his BW EPD is not an accurate predictor based off the results we've seen. We want a well-rounded package when it comes to meeting phenotype/structure and proven performance in the pedigree with a balanced set of EPDs with some accuracy to them is ideal too. We report all our weights to the AHA along with getting scan data and DNA testing on our sale bulls and scan data on steers we retain ownership of that go to the feedlot which all that helps improve our EPD accuracies. There are some dams and sires we've bred that may have some EPDs that don't tell the whole story because we know the genetics behind them don't reflect what their EPDs are.

The 1 thing I do get irritated with are folks that stereotype certain breeders as EPD chasers without ever stepping foot on and viewing their program in person and getting a good understanding of what and how they are doing things or looking at a fair amount of progeny sired by a bull in person in other herds. It amazes me just how much some think they know so much about certain bulls or programs just because they are marketed or collected by a sire stud and have never actually got out of the bubble the live in and viewed some herds and programs that use genetics they are criticizing. Hate to burst the bubble of some folks that think all bulls in a AI catalogs are spending their days in front of a feed pan or in a cooler getting ready for a show. Most of those bulls actually spend their summers working in a pasture and have semen collected during their down time. We usually buy semen directly from breeders who have proven genetics but this year we bought some semen on a bull offered by a sire stud this year that one of the co-owners lives in state. The bull spends most of his time in the pasture servicing cows in multiple herds including a well respected registered herd as well as some commercial herds too and was part of the National Sire Reference Program in 2014. We've seen pictures of him in the pasture he was working in this summer and he definitely was not a tub of fat in the condition he was in. Several other AI sires we've bought semen on were working sires in the programs that owned them who have been in the business for multiple generations and have a proven track record of breeding good cattle and they are also ones that are reporting their weights which are adding to the accuracies of their EPDs.

The 1 thing you can never get enough of is expanding your knowledge and sometimes that means leaving your comfort zone and getting out and visiting programs you think don't match your description of what you deem important. A lot of those programs that have been in business for multiple generations and have sustained that success for a reason. If they weren't raising cattle desirable to their buyers then they wouldn't still be in business today. You may still leave with the mindset that you wouldn't buy from them but I would bet you'd learn some things that busted some stereotypes you had of them pegged for prior to viewing their operation.

cow pollinater":2z4dm3yh said:
Killers for me are CEM and poor heifer fertility..... I watch stayability closely in breeds that offer it.

IF it were simple there would be no need for any measure in the first place
We could just assume that what we see is what we get.
:nod:

[/quote]

[/quote]The 1 thing I do get irritated with are folks that stereotype certain breeders as EPD chasers without ever stepping foot on and viewing their program in person and getting a good understanding of what and how they are doing things or looking at a fair amount of progeny sired by a bull in person in other herds. It amazes me just how much some think they know so much about certain bulls or programs just because they are marketed or collected by a sire stud and have never actually got out of the bubble the live in and viewed some herds and programs that use genetics they are criticizing. Hate to burst the bubble of some folks that think all bulls in a AI catalogs are spending their days in front of a feed pan or in a cooler getting ready for a show. Most of those bulls actually spend their summers working in a pasture and have semen collected during their down time. We usually buy semen directly from breeders who have proven genetics but this year we bought some semen on a bull offered by a sire stud this year that one of the co-owners lives in state. The bull spends most of his time in the pasture servicing cows in multiple herds including a well respected registered herd as well as some commercial herds too and was part of the National Sire Reference Program in 2014. We've seen pictures of him in the pasture he was working in this summer and he definitely was not a tub of fat in the condition he was in. Several other AI sires we've bought semen on were working sires in the programs that owned them who have been in the business for multiple generations and have a proven track record of breeding good cattle and they are also ones that are reporting their weights which are adding to the accuracies of their EPDs.

The 1 thing you can never get enough of is expanding your knowledge and sometimes that means leaving your comfort zone and getting out and visiting programs you think don't match your description of what you deem important. A lot of those programs that have been in business for multiple generations and have sustained that success for a reason. If they weren't raising cattle desirable to their buyers then they wouldn't still be in business today. You may still leave with the mindset that you wouldn't buy from them but I would bet you'd learn some things that busted some stereotypes you had of them pegged for prior to viewing their operation.[/quote]

SPH- I believe this portion of your comment was directed towards me. I was, for years, a GAR cooperator herd. My beliefs and comments are based on my experiences as such. I had Predestined calves before most ever heard of Predestined. It was my experiences, observations and requirements that formed my opinion of the cattle and program. I would be negligent if I formed no opinion of the animals I was caring for due to the intensive work associated with being a recip herd.

It's a big, amazing world. We are free to make our own choices. You are welcome to make yours and I make mine. We all need each other. Have a blessed Sunday.

Chocolate Cow":29m65q2m said:
SPH- I believe this portion of your comment was directed towards me. I was, for years, a GAR cooperator herd. My beliefs and comments are based on my experiences as such. I had Predestined calves before most ever heard of Predestined. It was my experiences, observations and requirements that formed my opinion of the cattle and program. I would be negligent if I formed no opinion of the animals I was caring for due to the intensive work associated with being a recip herd.

It's a big, amazing world. We are free to make our own choices. You are welcome to make yours and I make mine. We all need each other. Have a blessed Sunday.

It was not directed at you, it was just a general statement. Trust me, there are a lot more guys out there that irritate the heck out of me with their bad mouthing, rumor spreading, conspiracy theories, and just general negative attitude towards breeds or breeders who have success without having the full knowledge behind those breeders of how they do things or ever set foot on there operation yet they have already drawn conclusions about how those said breeders without even having any kind of direct interaction with them in any shape or form. I completely respect that everyone has their opinions and views on things and how they go about their ways but the 1 thing that frustrates me the most are people that have someone pegged for what they are not and spews rumors and stories about them without having anything factual to back it up.

Talking poorly of other breeders and how they run their operations is just careless, reckless, and reflects poorly on one's character. It's just another example of how much hate and negativity we have in the world today, it's not worth adding to that and in turn likely bringing your own reputation down in the process by participating in the bashing and 3rd hand gossip and rumors that go around when they don't directly impact you.

Latest posts