9 ER":3uc39lh4 said:
What does YH, CEM, TM, GL, and CE mean?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is correct:

YH= Yearling Height
CEM= Calving Ease Maternal
TM= Total Maternal
GL= ??????
CE= Calving Ease

I'm not sure on the "GL". What breed are you looking at EPDs? That might help to figure out the GL. Most breeds, if they have a site to lookup EPDs, also have a page that explains each EPD category. You might try checking your breed's website for an explanation.

I did a search to learn more about EPDs and saw this
Angus Actual Birth wieght 70lbs
CED BW WW YW YH SC CEM Milk
+8 +0 +46 I +80 I +0 I +.15 +10 +23
.22 .35 .26 .15 .05 .05 .08 .09

Balancer (50%Angus 50%Gelbvieh) Actual Birth Wieght 72lbs
CE BW WW YW MK TM GL CED
105 -1.0 41 77 21 42 -.9 104

I figured CE was calving ease
Why is YH important?
Total Maternal? please explain.

I hear folks talk about marbleing and ribeye. What is the epds for those?

9 ER":290p3sxs said:
I did a search to learn more about EPDs and saw this
Angus Actual Birth wieght 70lbs
CED BW WW YW YH SC CEM Milk
+8 +0 +46 I +80 I +0 I +.15 +10 +23
.22 .35 .26 .15 .05 .05 .08 .09

Balancer (50%Angus 50%Gelbvieh) Actual Birth Wieght 72lbs
CE BW WW YW MK TM GL CED
105 -1.0 41 77 21 42 -.9 104

I figured CE was calving ease
Why is YH important?
Total Maternal? please explain.

I hear folks talk about marbleing and ribeye. What is the epds for those?

Go to http://www.angus.org/sireeval/howto.html. This site will give all the info necessary for the angus breed, including the carcas info you referred to (which is what I think your first line comes from - Angus). As far as the your second line with TM, GL - not sure what that's about, must be from another breed's epd system.

What I do know is as already stated:
CED = calving ease direct - his offspring, higher number easier calving
BW = birth weight his offspring
WW = weaning weight his offspring
YW = yearling weight his offspring
SC = scrotal circumference his offspring
CEM = calving ease materna - his daughters offspring's calving ease, higher number easier calving
Milk = milking of his daughters measured in #'s, weaning weights of their calves

I think you would be best suited to go to http://www.angus.org/sireeval/howto.html or one of the other breed sites for the answers to your questions, as I am definitly no expert. I would hate to point you in the wrong direction. Some breeds have different categories, but most have the base production EPDs such as BW CE WW YW SC. Hope this helps.

i knew bw,ww,ced,yw,sc just didn't know about the others. I was wrong in thinking that sc was for that particular bull. Did not realize that it concerned his offspring. thanks

9 ER":2nvuyntn said:
i knew bw,ww,ced,yw,sc just didn't know about the others. I was wrong in thinking that sc was for that particular bull. Did not realize that it concerned his offspring. thanks

all epd's are for offspring. EPD=Expected Progeny Differences

the epd for ribeye is REA & the epd for marbling is IMF

txag":1f323mal said:
9 ER":1f323mal said:
the epd for ribeye is REA & the epd for marbling is IMF

As the others have suggested, check with the breed association that the animal is registered in. Different breed associations have different epd letters for some things. ie: ribeye, marbling, and a few others.

cul8r":3hrzdggi said:
As the others have suggested, check with the breed association that the animal is registered in. Different breed associations have different epd letters for some things. ie: ribeye, marbling, and a few others.

true. the best place is the breed's sire summary. there's usually a listing of each epd and an explanation of each.

GL, I think is gestation length. Gelbs show this

Total Maternal is also MWW, maternal weaning weight

Latest posts