EPD Accuracy

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Had a Connealy Comrade calf born today, so I looked up his current proof.
He's still top 1% ced and bw .96 accuracy with top 1% docility and top 10% $W but when he first came out he was
also over 1.00 for both rib eye and marbling with .34 accuracy. Now he's .60 re and .57 marbling with 67% accuracy.
He was breed average for $B now he's bottom 30% and even smaller MH and MW than expected, bottom 5% for both.
They must really slow down on growing after they're weaned.

Condsider his age and the fact that in regards to $B, all older bulls will continue to drop in the $B "standings", because day after day, sire selection for some is geared towards trying to win the "Black Magic Olympics".

I like to look back in pedigrees at the much older bulls from the 90s, etc. Their $B is horrendous

Butch,
The marbling epd seems to be the most likely to drop like a rock.
I really liked Connealy United because he was over 1 for both as well and he's a 3/4 brother to Comrade.
He's now .85 for marbling and .54 for ribeye.
Not sure if that is because of the changes in epds or not.
I know if you look at some of the sale catalogs that have indexes for IMF some of the bulls that are slightly above average seem to have calves that are way over 100.
The bright side is that people liked Comrade calves enough to make him a top seller for Select for years.

We have had numerous Comrade calves (used him early on). My impression is that they do grow phenomenally for awhile and then often slow down (at least for us, in our all-grass environment with hay half the year). Once they get on nice spring grass, they tend to get another growth spurt.
So far this season we have 2 Comrade, 2 Elation, and 2 Sunrise calves so it will be interesting to watch. The Sunrise heifers are very reddish, a first for us.

Latest posts