Foot Score Epd

Help Support CattleToday:

Dirt Farmer

Reaction score
Looks like they're going to finally start including claw angle in the epds come June for Black Angus.

"The association board in fact directed the genetics group to create a scoring system for foot structure, and they as a result, they will release a foot angle EPD in June 2019."

https://www.tsln.com/news/getting-the-whole-story/

This is a very good idea in my opinion as i have seen many angus with terrible feet. So many bulls in a.i. catalogues are pictured with their feet in hay to hide them. I also believe they should have a scoring system for udders but that would be tricky and complicated. But feet are a good start. Unless you can see a bull in person you really are relying on the information provided.

Bad feet are not exclusive to the Angus breed. The epd will help some but there are some that will take years to be accurate and the really bad offenders wont get scored. it is a start though.

I also believe they should have a scoring system for udders but that would be tricky and complicated.
Numerous breed associations have udder/teat scoring systems in place. Its neither tricky nor complicated providing the one doing the scoring is clueless. :roll:

76 Bar said:
I also believe they should have a scoring system for udders but that would be tricky and complicated.
Numerous breed associations have udder/teat scoring systems in place. Its neither tricky nor complicated providing the one doing the scoring is clueless. :roll:

I don't think it would be too difficult. I had a cow with a 1/2 bad bag, came that way-I didn't know any better. That's easy enough to score. She gets a 0. Cow with 4 good teats after 2 calves gets a 1. Same as everything else. I have another with 6 teats. She gets a 0 as well.

Bestoutwest said:
76 Bar said:

I don't think it would be too difficult. I had a cow with a 1/2 bad bag, came that way-I didn't know any better. That's easy enough to score. She gets a 0. Cow with 4 good teats after 2 calves gets a 1. Same as everything else. I have another with 6 teats. She gets a 0 as well.

When you say 6 teats are they just blind teats or actually have a milk duct?

Redgully said:
Bestoutwest said:
76 Bar said:

When you say 6 teats are they just blind teats or actually have a milk duct?

As far as I've ever seen they're blind. She's had one calf that I never saw suckle there.

The lack of a foot score, and utter score all of these year hasn't made a lot of sense to me. Shoot, they even made up a bunch imaginary indexes, but no foot and utter?
I guess they held off with those scores all this time because it's kind of hard to cheat when people can see it plain as day.

sim.-ang.king said:
The lack of a foot score, and utter score all of these year hasn't made a lot of sense to me. Shoot, they even made up a bunch imaginary indexes, but no foot and utter?
I guess they held off with those scores all this time because it's kind of hard to cheat when people can see it plain as day.
Or the over use of numbers and the lack of attention to phenotype finally caught up with the breed. Somebody had to tell the king that he had no clothes.

Ebenezer said:
sim.-ang.king said:
Or the over use of numbers and the lack of attention to phenotype finally caught up with the breed. Somebody had to tell the king that he had no clothes.
Bingo!! we have a winner

Latest posts