Enlarged navel/underline

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
Had a heifer calve on Wednesday. Before she calved navel was enlarged. Looked like a Brahma cross navel. Hubby talked to the vet before she calved. Vet said if didn't go down within a week of calving we could give an injection to take care of it. Today we checked her. Not only is her navel area distended, half of her underline is distended. Looks worse than before she calved. Acts fine, ate good. Anyone seen this? Any ideas of what it might be?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

My first thought was a hernia, but then you said half the underline was pronounced, never seen one that bad. Just for my curiousity, what was the shot and the vet's reason for giving it?

cfpinz

I didn't talk to the vet. Hubby did. Said it would cause her to go into labor. So I guess that was the reason for not giving it before she calved. Would make the navel go down.

One other thing. We are feeding CS meal and/or Soybean meal mixed with salt and minerals. Vet said she is probably retaining fluid from the salt.

Farmgirl":3go1ueie said:
Had a heifer calve on Wednesday. Before she calved navel was enlarged. Looked like a Brahma cross navel. Hubby talked to the vet before she calved. Vet said if didn't go down within a week of calving we could give an injection to take care of it. Today we checked her. Not only is her navel area distended, half of her underline is distended. Looks worse than before she calved. Acts fine, ate good. Anyone seen this? Any ideas of what it might be?

Thanks,
Farmgirl
i had an seen dairy heifers swell like that till they calved.their whole underline swelled an looked real puffy.i never once did anything to get the swelling down.it went down on its own.from what your saying your heifer is ok.its just normal swelling.itll go down on its own with time.

Got 2 Brahman girls do this when they bag up. Always took it as a good sign. It's gone a week after calving.
B.

This is NORMAL edima from heavy milk production. It got bigger after calving, because she "really" came into her milk (normal), and the calf is too small/young to keep up with her production.

Ditto to what Jeanne said. Just normal edema. Here's a holstein heifer with a mild case of it.

telcsideview1031.jpg

Thanks for the replys. Calf is one week old now. Checked her last night and navel was still enlarged. If this is from heavy milk production that is one thing (just the way it is, not a lot we can do about it). Our concern is that she may be retaining fluid from the salt-limited protein supplement we are feeding. There is something we could and may need to do about that.

btw...Her navel is much larger that MM's heifer.

Will post pictures later tonight, I hope.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

OK, here is a picture of the first time mama with an enlarged navel and underline.
DSC00740.jpg

She is fullblood Maine Anjou and appears to be giving a good amount of milk. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

That doesn't bother me. By your first post I was picturing something the size of a fist or larger and hard, my fault for not asking.

cfpinz

Yes, that looks perfectly normal for some females (especially heifers). Her body will obsorb the excess fluid. I totally ignore it.
You have to remember. Your vet is put in a very sticky situation when he is asked to make a farm call ($$$) and he wants to say -"it's nothing, just ignore it" :shock: and you would be thinking "and he is charging me how much for that answer??" :mad: I realize your husband talked to the vet and there probably isn't any charge involved, but customers EXPECT results from the vet. And yes, he can give a shot for edema to help the swelling go down quicker.

Checked the cows today. The enlarged navel has gone down. Looks normal. Her udder has gone down some too. Still looks like the calf is getting plenty of milk. He looked to have a little scours. Healthy enough though. Running and playing.

Thanks to all that posted.

Farmgirl

Latest posts