Enjoying nice weather

Help Support CattleToday:

lithuanian farmer

Reaction score
It's been awhile since we had dry, sunny weather. Everybody is enjoying it, before winter. Might get some snow next week already. Nothing serious, hopefully.
Here are some photos from this morning.
DSCF3013.jpg
Frost on grass in the early morning.
DSCF3055.jpg

Most of the calves have been weaned already, except for summer-autumn born. Most of the cows are preparing for winter calving.
DSCF3058.jpg
Expecting her 2nd calf next year.
DSCF3063.jpg
This one lost her calf last winter, so she had some rest this year. Our cows don't really get very fat, even if they spend more time not nursing.
DSCF3065.jpg
Dam of the above cow. This one is 9 years old, nursing July born heifer.
DSCF3084.jpg
3rd calver, has August born twin heifers.
DSCF3086.jpg
Due with the 3rd calf in winter.
DSCF3088.jpg
Half sister to the two before her.
DSCF3097.jpg
Eldest cow. Angusxdairy, 10 years old.
DSCF3090.jpg
Two big girls.
DSCF3091.jpg
Black- one of the biggest cow in the herd.
DSCF3092.jpg
Charolaisxdairy. Lost calf this spring.
DSCF3094.jpg

DSCF3107.jpg
Huge girl. Due with the 2nd calf in December.
DSCF3123.jpg
Heifer due to calve in December.
DSCF3103.jpg

DSCF3113.jpg

DSCF3076.jpg
Heifer due in November.
DSCF3128.jpg
Bull being friendly with a heifer this morning. :)
DSCF3126.jpg
Well, this heifer is quite fat... Only 16months old.
DSCF3081.jpg
Our new heifer is adjusting to the herd well.

kenny thomas":15s1430o said:
Great looking cattle. Is there a reason for not dehorning?
No particular reason. Just it doesn't make much of difference for us if the animal is horned or polled. Sometimes horns are even an advantage when have to catch a cow in the field.

creekdrive":33ttwidk said:
Nice pictures & good looking animals as always! That blue roan heifer is sure pretty to look at.
Thanks. Already can't await for her calf next year! Her owner has spring born Angusx heifer from this heifer's dam. If she won't be kept by the owner, might buy her ourselves. Very nice heifer too. Black with white belly.

Dogs and Cows":3v0zdvs9 said:
Your cows have very nice udders!

Tim
Thank you. Almost all cows in photos are dry at the moment. We don't pay much of attention to the udder for now, but still have some preferences. A big no for a small udder, even if it's the 1st calver. However, the most important thing is the quality of milk which is shown by the growth of the calf. We have already culled all cows with enormous size or shape teats, those were our the first purchased cows. Didn't have much problem with calves nursing them, fortunately. Their daughters have much better shape.

lithuanian farmer":1jxx2ubs said:
creekdrive":1jxx2ubs said:
Nice pictures & good looking animals as always! That blue roan heifer is sure pretty to look at.
Thanks. Already can't await for her calf next year! Her owner has spring born Angusx heifer from this heifer's dam. If she won't be kept by the owner, might buy her ourselves. Very nice heifer too. Black with white belly.

Her 'type' would not fit into our herd at all, but I can't help but like the fancy color. :heart:
I think I've mentioned it before but it is always surprising to me how your pictures look like they could've been taken right out my back door. The similarities in the landscape are amazing to me. Even though we are probably on just about the same latitude when I picture countries half a world away in my mind I don't tend to think of something that looks so familiar to me. :)

creekdrive":oyxghv84 said:
Her 'type' would not fit into our herd at all, but I can't help but like the fancy color. :heart:
I think I've mentioned it before but it is always surprising to me how your pictures look like they could've been taken right out my back door. The similarities in the landscape are amazing to me. Even though we are probably on just about the same latitude when I picture countries half a world away in my mind I don't tend to think of something that looks so familiar to me. :)
I hope we'll get more roan calves in the future. I like multicoloured calves. Probably going to use AI white BB bull next spring. Hopefully he'll bring more colour. This heifer fits in the herd perfectly for us. Personally I'd like that the whole herd looked like her. :)
Yeah, it does look similar. It just shows that we live on the same earth. :)

Latest posts