End of a good run.

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Yesterday I spent the better portion of the day making sure everything was handled for the next 3 days as I had to climb on an arrowplane this morning for annual meetings. I noticed on of my best cows looked like she would have a litter of calves in April when she was due. She came in to lot for feed ate fine . seen her eating hay , they lounged in the lot all day. I even told my wife last night that ole 49 was getting huge and she still had 2 months to go. This morning I had to leave before daylight. And just as I was about to board the plane my phone and text messages started going off. Telling me I had a dead cow. Everyone said she looked like she was trying to calve but when I had my wife go out she said she didn't look like she was calving just her lips were open and you could see pink. She got one of the boys to drag her off. I have no idea of age of cow she was a big one 1400 to 1500# she was missing her front 2 teeth but never showed it as she maintained condition . I'm not sure what happened and will never know what happened. It's the first cow I've lost since 99.

Since she met an untimely death she will now be referred to as "One of your best cows". Seems to always work that way. Anyway when a cow dies folks usually say it was one of their best cows.

dun, you are right.. but there's a reason for it too... from your best cows you might hold on to them a little longer than if they weren't so great. Not losing a cow in that many years is pretty good, can't say I've had the same luck... Lost 2 in a year about 4 years ago... Haven't lost a calf either since then, so that's a bright side.

I'm sorry to hear that. I lost one a few years ago for no apparent reason. One day she looked fine, and the next day she was dead. I guess they can get heart attacks just like people?

Missing front teeth ?
I thought all you hillbillies down south had missing teeth :D

Seriously it happens but it still sucks
Makes you question lots of things but hindsight 20/20

Sorry for your loss - always hard to lose a good cow. Also blown away that you haven't lost a cow since '99! We must be plagued with bad luck: hardware, cancer, down-cow/spinal injury & whothehellknows. Hope your trip turns our well in spite of the ranch drama & especially no unfortunate airport delays :)

JMJ Farms":1tmk2lte said:
17 years without losing a cow! That's dam impressive to say the least.

Ive culled pretty hard on old cows last few years . I told myself this past summer that it was time for her to go when I checked her teeth and she was missing a few. But elected to try one more time cause she raised a good calf. I actually sold her heifer calf Sunday she was in my heifer pen and I was gonna keep her but the guy that bought them wanted her . Should have went with my gut on it.

I almost wonder if she was impacted, since you mention how big she was. I guess it don't really matter but you still wonder. Tough break M5. How was the meeting?

Today was good , tomorrow will be a long day start at 6am CST till 5 in meeting on 2015 sales then 6pm to 10pm banquet. They don't know how to cook like what I'm used to. Plus no beef on menu. I done raised heII about that.

Last cow I lost had a tree limb break and land on her back. When I found her she was chewing her cud like nothing was wrong still setting cow fashion . I try and find the pics one of these days it was a site to behold.

M-5":2nyipm3v said:
Today was good , tomorrow will be a long day start at 6am CST till 5 in meeting on 2015 sales then 6pm to 10pm banquet. They don't know how to cook like what I'm used to. Plus no beef on menu. I done raised heII about that.

I run into that most everywhere i go :bang:

M-5":3b89b7j1 said:
Last cow I lost had a tree limb break and land on her back. When I found her she was chewing her cud like nothing was wrong still setting cow fashion . I try and find the pics one of these days it was a site to behold.

I think we must be related. Branch kin or something. That's my kinda luck right there.

Ive culled pretty hard on old cows last few years . I told myself this past summer that it was time for her to go when I checked her teeth and she was missing a few. But elected to try one more time cause she raised a good calf. I actually sold her heifer calf Sunday she was in my heifer pen and I was gonna keep her but the guy that bought them wanted her . Should have went with my gut on it
Seems appropriate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u642LNt5k0g

M-5":17iab3dp said:

NO BEEF! Oh well, spinach and pita bread rolled up is pretty good (NOT). :D

Sorry for your loss. I am guilty of holding on to some that I know need to go. You have certainly been blessed not to lose any for so many years. Hope you have a safe trip and things will go better when you get home.
I have been watching my big cow that lost triplets the end of March last year. I was so afraid it would happen again this time as she was huge and maybe she would die too. I saw her late yesterday afternoon at hay ring eating. Could not find her this morning, but after walking a while there she was with a big fine bull. God is good.
I did lose a fine Beefmaster heifer about a month ago. My helper found her down from the hay ring.That really hurt.I was there when she was born and she was one of my prettiest Beefmasters. All we could come up with was a heart attack. No signs of pneumonia. I had just said a few days before that she was my prettiest Beefmaster. I had started two or three times to sell her, but never did as she was so gentle and pretty.
We all have our bad times as well as happy times.

Cows sometimes will lay down with their feet uphill and die of bloat. Only way to keep from losing cows is,not to have any. Which is a near goal for me.

Latest posts