Eminent Domain in Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd":1eqmeugm said:
If it had not have been for Kinky and One tough Grandma we would have had Chris Bell for Governor. I guess the people from Texas gets what they ask for. Pity

Although I do agree that Kinky did get votes that would have otherwise gone for another candidate, I thought Chris Bell was a limp noodle. I don't think he ever presented himself as a serious candidate until the very end when it was too late. When speaking, he always had this look like he was about to apologize for being there.

I think that Carol Strayhorn did an excellent job as the State Comptroller and she did a good job in keeping Mr. Perry in line. When he said there was no money for CHIP, she found it. When he said that there was no money for human services, she combined, what was it, nine redundant state health and human service agencies into five. I think she presented herself as a fincal conservative who also believed in helping the less fortunate, the elderly and the disabled in this state. Mr. Perry consistantly cut jobs in these departments, froze salaries and limited or curtailed services to some of the neediest people in this state. And I am no talking about Katrina refugees, either.

Perry did restore the state jobs he had cut and salaries he had frozen - when he was facing re-election. He made himself look like the good father when he opened up Texas to tens of thousands of Katrina refugees, many of whom had no plans to leave or find jobs and still whine at any hint that the gravy train may derail to this day.

No, I wasn't prepared to vote for Chris Bell. During all that time, I don't remember hearing a peep out of him.

I am sorry for getting on my broom. Please don't take it as an attack. I am just so frustrated that we had choices and look at the choice we made. I voted for Strayhorn, and I will always stand by my vote. As far as I am concerned, in a fair contest between her and Mr Perry, Gov. Perry would have been running scared.

backhoeboogie":2axsavwd said:
We've had worse, in our life time.

Not that it matters now, but names, please. I am really interested in your thoughts on this one.

I also live in one of the many "possible" paths of the Trans Texas corridor.. although I have my opinion about where it will end up.

No one wants to lose their farm or ranch to it.. that's a given. But when is the last time you drove on I35? The population in Texas is growing so fast the state can barely keep up with anything.. roads, WATER, housing, etc. That's unfortunately one of the things that happens with all this population. Everyone has to drive to a job in a city, and it gets harder and harder every year to find a way to get there!

The sad thing is that this TTC is only a small part of the total sellout of our country- and Canada, which few Canadians yet grasp is happening.....

But it appears as tho a few are awakening to what these few rich elites are doing in the name of free trade and recognize the dangers of this North American Union....

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=56332

Doesn,t all of this have to do with our new trade agreements with Mexico, and the increase of truck traffic due to these trade agreements. These Highway expansions are going up all over Texas. I-35 used to be mostly cars, not anymore.

I beleive that these expansions will further decrease the little profit margins of our agricultural products and increase profits for Mexico.

I do not beleive these trade routes are going to be limited to Texas but will also be expanded toward the north and east.

Seems like with all the Mexacan folks trying to get over here they could be feeding their own people.

While there are a great many things on these boards which I don't know much about, ocassionaly there is. I agree that the TTC is a mess and probably a wast of money right now. There just isn't enough traffic to support such an endeavor. Money would be better spent improving the roads that already exist without transfering the tax burden to the state's citizens.

The TTC is touted as helping ease traffic in Texas, and yes further north. NAFTA has been in existence since 1994; and the agreement includes Canada. This state, and this country for that matter, has bigger problems than Mexico. We have larger trade deficits (import more than we send) with Europe $12.1 billion and Canada $8.1 billion, than with Mexico $4.8 billion.

With that said, I agree there needs to be tougher restrictions about Ag products coming into this country, or at the very least enforce the ones we got. There also needs to be regulations of the trucks coming across the borders and the drivers.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent and vent.

ERodrig":1cu1j76e said:
While there are a great many things on these boards which I don't know much about, ocassionaly there is. I agree that the TTC is a mess and probably a wast of money right now. There just isn't enough traffic to support such an endeavor. Money would be better spent improving the roads that already exist without transfering the tax burden to the state's citizens.

The TTC is touted as helping ease traffic in Texas, and yes further north. NAFTA has been in existence since 1994; and the agreement includes Canada. This state, and this country for that matter, has bigger problems than Mexico. We have larger trade deficits (import more than we send) with Europe $12.1 billion and Canada $8.1 billion, than with Mexico $4.8 billion.

With that said, I agree there needs to be tougher restrictions about Ag products coming into this country, or at the very least enforce the ones we got. There also needs to be regulations of the trucks coming across the borders and the drivers.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent and vent.

Politicans are trying to sell or stuff this hiway down our throats. I can see no real benifet for the people of the US.
I wonder who is going to supply the fuel for all those trucks.
The people that own the highway. With no exits there is no choice. And do you think the fuel price is going to be cheap?
What I see in this project is foreign owned and operated fuel depots and tollway and politicans and lobbyists linning their pockets. To top it off we, the tax payer, get to pay for it.

"What I see in this project is foreign owned and operated fuel depots and tollway and politicans and lobbyists linning their pockets. To top it off we, the tax payer, get to pay for it."

That's for darn sure.

Nova, please don't think that I disagree with you, quite the opposite. A beautiful lush piece of land that I was saving up to buy is now going to be shreded in half and turned into asphalt if they have their way. I've been to the meetings and voiced my discontent through letters, emails, and conversations with these folks. Sorry if I seemed contentious, I just have a habbit of playing devil's advocate sometimes.

ERod.. how do you know that piece of land is going to be "shrdded into asphalt"? The last time I looked they still haven't determined exactly where it's going to be... other than a 30 mile wide swath.

BullLady,
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that it was a done deal. A piece of land that I was eyeing just East of Georgetown is in the proposed area. That's why I said "if they have their way." I don't want to start a stampede. The entire plan needs to be approved by the feds, among many other steps. It's just frustrating what they're doing to the land.

TheBullLady":2z95hrn3 said:
ERod.. how do you know that piece of land is going to be "shrdded into asphalt"? The last time I looked they still haven't determined exactly where it's going to be... other than a 30 mile wide swath.

You are exactly right, and that 's the scary thing. I have been looking at farms in Hill County and you have to wonder... i don't want to put out hearts and souls into some land and then have the TTC pave over it. I just wish I knew more. And I researched it. It might not even happen. Who really knows? It is the not knowing that is scary.

Latest posts