Eminent Domain in Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know, but I do know that this Trans Texas corridor has folks in this area in an uproar. Have you seen the plans for this? Twelve lanes, like, half a mile wide cutting a swath through some of the best farm land in the state. And there aren't exits, and it would bypass towns like West, Abbot and other small towns that depend on freeway traffic for businesses. Then there is the proposed route. No one really knows for sure just where it will go. Steve and I have looked at a couple of farms around Malone, but the anti corridor sentiment is running high there and I suspect that it's going to go right through there. I don't want to buy land just to have it yanked out from under me, or have a ginormous toll road cut it in half.

And to top if off, the firm that is going to construct this is from Spain!!! :mad:

Its just a mess. And there's nothing we can do about it. It is just sad.

Yes, I just read that Perry vetoed it. Way to go Rick! :mad: :mad: :mad: You can tell he isn't up for re-election. He's trying to line his pockets for when he leaves office. All I can say is that I didn't vote for him. Either time.

From an outsider's view, that trans Texas thing looks like a money maker for construction people. But most Texas I know don't want it. I found this in an article about the veto. Looks like he vetoed it because land owners would have some redress for the taking of their land. Now that's a shock. :roll:

"The eminent domain bill, HB 2006, had enjoyed Perry's support until an amendment was added late in the session that state and local officials said could cost taxpayers billions of dollars. The amendment would have allowed property owners to sue for "diminished access" to their property because of new roads or road construction. Current law requires property owners to show "material or substantial damages" before seeking compensation.

Another provision would have allowed the recovery of damages for changes in traffic patterns and visibility of the property from the road. Texas courts have long disallowed this practice because it would make some public projects too expensive to build, Perry said.

He said he had alerted legislators who handled the bill to his concerns. But House author Rep. Beverly Woolley, R-Houston, said she feared there wasn't time in the last days of the session to work out compromise language.

The bill was strongly supported by Republicans as a response to a controversial decision by the U.S. Supreme Court on private property rights.

But Perry said he had received letters from many fast-growth cities and counties asking him to veto it because the cost of constructing projects will increase by more than $1 billion.

Sen. Glenn Hegar, R-Katy, who offered the amendment that Perry opposed, said he was stunned by the reaction from local officials. He said the amendment was identical to a failed bill he carried but that "no one testified against it, no one came to visit me, no fiscal implication (was added to it)."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met ... 95077.html

The reason Texans are against it is because it has been cloaked in secrecy that would make the CIA jealous. No one knew where it was going through. No on knew what it entailed. No one knew anything. Perry knew all this before his recent re-election, and you can bet your hiney he kept it from getting out until after he was in office again.

Put it to you this way. Would you like to wake up every day wondering if your farm were going to be cut in two by this monster and know there's nothing you can do about it. I am telling you, farmers and ranchers are mad about it. You can see signs all around Hill county posted by land owners. It is pretty insulting.

Yes and Perry also met with the bildbergers about this project. The bildibergers or rich influential pepole that make decisions in our best interest LOL. They make the decisions to make themselves richer. If you do not believe then make a web search on bildibergers. I thought this was a joke for a long time. I am beginning to believe it. Henry Kissinger and associates are members. Henry was the one that got the OPEC countries to gether to control the price of oil. Go figure what is in it for him.

Consider how many more thousands of acres are going to be covered in pavement or concrete by the corridor! That is more run-off water for the Trinity or Brazos which already flood because of thousands of acres of sandy loam covered by Wal-Mart and Home Depot parking lots, new houses, shopping and strip malls etc. The water table is dropping all over Texas. There is no way to replentish it. Places that used to never flood are flooded out now with 3 inches of rain. The water cannot get to the ground. It is all routed into storm drains and creeks.

Perry is a puppet of the TTC, but the TTC would have been exempt from this as it is public road.

This isn't about the TTC, it is about fair compensation for our land. Farm land owners are in the minority and when the majority decides to take our land, they will.

Lammie":3ozc4hi1 said:
The reason Texans are against it is because it has been cloaked in secrecy that would make the CIA jealous. No one knew where it was going through. No on knew what it entailed. No one knew anything. Perry knew all this before his recent re-election, and you can bet your hiney he kept it from getting out until after he was in office again.

Put it to you this way. Would you like to wake up every day wondering if your farm were going to be cut in two by this monster and know there's nothing you can do about it. I am telling you, farmers and ranchers are mad about it. You can see signs all around Hill county posted by land owners. It is pretty insulting.

The sad truth is that land owners, ranchers, farmers, don't have that many votes when elections roll around. But from what I read, it seems like there may be a change in the political mood in Texas. Even city folks seem to be getting tired of paying tolls.

Frankie":6o7migh9 said:
Lammie":6o7migh9 said:

The sad truth is that land owners, ranchers, farmers, don't have that many votes when elections roll around. But from what I read, it seems like there may be a change in the political mood in Texas. Even city folks seem to be getting tired of paying tolls.

Frankie there are folks in the city who never were flooded out before in all the years they lived there. Now with all the new houses, streets, and parking lots, little creeks are flooding homes out. Some of the old roadways have become rivers during recent rains. Hence, you are right. City folks are taking note of what is happening.

Caustic Burno":3cbatnug said:
I think it is time to dig up the "Twin Sisters".

You sure do keep me on my toes. I had to google that reference. :idea:

Yes, it may indeed be time! :cboy:

Lammie":2q5a1on8 said:
Caustic Burno":2q5a1on8 said:

I've had a rough day, Lammie...give me the link you found.

Alice

I don't want to add to the steam, but there's also some folks pushing for more rights for land owners that are forced to sell through the eminent domain laws. One of the many problems is that under current law, the state is only required to pay fair market value. What people are pushing for is that the allow require the state to pay for not only fair market value, but potential future value. Esentially, if a piece of land is taken and is currently worth say $75,000, but when the road is finished and a gas station is needed in that spot, the land could potentially be worth three, four, five times that amount.

Alice":hlufrgfp said:
Lammie":hlufrgfp said:
Caustic Burno":hlufrgfp said:

Alice

Pitiful for a self proclaimed Texan.

I think sometimes I have forgotten more than I have learned. I remembered something about cannons, but I had to look up the story. As usual, your knowledge of Texas History is impressive, CB. My husband is from Oklahoma and he's jealous of this state's rich and colorful history and wishes he had studied it in school.

When others I know vacation elsewhere, I can say that I have so much more to discover about my own state, I don't feel like I'll ever need to venture past my own borders. Other places are nice, but Texas has it all.

Including, it would seem, a governor I don't like extremely well. :mad:

Caustic Burno":3cpj8u5d said:
Alice":3cpj8u5d said:
Lammie":3cpj8u5d said:
Caustic Burno":3cpj8u5d said:

Alice

Pitiful for a self proclaimed Texan.

Shove it, CB.

Alice

I found the link, Lammie. And I agree wholeheartedly with you about Rick Perry.

Alice

If it had not have been for Kinky and One tough Grandma we would have had Chris Bell for Governor. I guess the people from Texas gets what they ask for. Pity

Latest posts