Embryos

Help Support CattleToday:

Back in the 80's we had a cow have 48 good embryos 54 total.
Over the last two or three years we have avg. 15 good embryos on three different cows. Last flush had 24 embryos 20 grade #1's ,2 grade #2, 1 grade #3 and 1 unfertile.

The last 1 I had flushed was a Governor Daughter (hereford) X
MOLER got 36 embryos (32 grade 1, 4 grade 2) and this was done at 42 days post calving.

vs_cattle":2amvhi2b said:
Herefordcross":2amvhi2b said:
Someone educate me please. How do they grade embryos. I dont quite get that one.
I have the same thoughts can you implant grade 2?
whats the difference?

grade 1 & 2 embryos are supposed to have nearly the same conception. we implant grade 2 along with grade 1. if we have enough recips, we implant grade 3's. we dont freeze grade 3's. grade 3 is usually 70% conception of grade 1 & 2 from what our embryologist tells us.

• Embryo Quality Grades

Grade 1: Excellent or Good. Symmetrical and spherical embryo mass with individual blastomeres (cells) that are uniform in size, color, and density. This embryo is consistent with its expected stage of development. Irregularities should be relatively minor, and at least 85% of the cellular material should be intact, viable embryonic mass. This judgement should be based on the percentage of embryonic cells represented by the extruded material in the perivitelline space. The zona pellucida should be smooth and have no concave or flat surfaces that might cause the embryo to adhere to a petri dish or a straw.

Grade 2: Fair. Moderate irregularities in overall shape of the embryonic mass or in size, color and density of individual cells. At least 50% of the cellular material should be an intact, viable embryonic mass.

Grade 3: Poor. Major irregularities in shape of the embryonic mass or in size, color and density of individual cells. At least 25% of the cellular material should be an intact, viable embryonic mass.

Grade 4: Dead or degenerating. Degenerating embryos, oocytes or 1-cell embryos: non-viable.
source: http://ohioline.osu.edu/anr-fact/0017.html[/list]

Our best record was with one donor cow called Suzie Q - we
got 31 grade one embryos from her at one flush. She got a
treat after that event!

2269suzq.jpg

Anguscollegekid":33kni6uj said:
Jimmedy crickets, how much does that cow weigh?

probably as much as the feed truck haha ;-) just kidding...if that cow is on straight grass, then he is one of the easiest-doing cows i have ever seen lol

Suzie Q is about as wide as she is tall! Isn't that what you
call "spring of rib"? Anyhow she is/was on straight grass;
the photo was taken in July and we certainly don't feed
in July. Now, at times we have put out hay in August
during our more-and-more regular droughts. Suzie is truly
an easy-keeper. Her daughter, Sadie, is now one of our
donor cows. Sadie had 17 good embryos on her first
flush last year, sired by Rockliffe Patron - those calves are
now arriving and look really good so far. Here's Patron:

R_Patron.jpg

We had a grade 3 embryo go on to be Reserve Champ Polled Herf in Denver. Some guys will say the #2's are heifers, but in our case this year it was mostly all bulls and we wanted heifers. :roll:

We flushed our first Simmi and got 38 eggs. 34 number ones and the rest were number twos. I was excited. Then we flushed my show heifer as a virgin and she gave us 24 eggs. I believe only 16 number ones, 5 number twos and the rest were number threes.

We have not weighed her in I-don't-know-when. Our scale
set-up is a real pain in the a$$. It is not a permanent
installation, and we have to drag the trough into the
loading chute and then fix blocking doors at the front
and rear--hook everything up and then take it apart
when finished. The result is we only set it up when
absolutely necessary for the calves.
I would guess Suzie Q's weight at about 1200 or maybe
1250 at the end of a good summer. She's a frame
4. She's a very good milker and has never had a problem
calving.

Latest posts