Implanting embryos

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
So, I have question if anyone has experience in this area; Our embryologist was out a few days ago to put in an embryo. We have been using this guy for several years, he is really good (but has his faults too, like anyone else in life). Seems they are packing embryos a little different than the old days, with a special top on them. Twice now, when the vet puts the frozen straw in his thermos, the bottom of the straw blows out and the embryo is killed (these are purchased embryos). This has only happened with the new style of straws, and he said it is caused by when they pack the straw to freeze, a small amount of liquid nitrogen is caught in the top where the cap goes. When the straw is thawed, the pressure of that Nitrogen thawing causes the straw to explode out the bottom.

Has anyone else heard of this happening? It is tough to lose that money, these straws are not replaced because each purchase comes with a guarantee of one pregnancy, and we get that each time so far, sometimes all three stick! Not happy about it, but is there anything that can be done?

Hubby just bought me three more embryos for my Christmas Present! These are LLSF Uprising x Dream on Daughter at J&C simmentals.

I used to have the same problem occasionally - both with embryos that I purchased and also on embryos that I froze. It always seems to happen to the ones you want the most. I talked to a couple of experienced embryologists a few years ago and they recommended holding the embryo 15-40 seconds - just until the air pockets thaw - and then place in the thaw unit. I haven't had this happen since I started this procedure and my preg rates have gone up.

Watched some being put in yesterday and she would hold it 20 seconds or so before putting in the water have had no problems with it. Around 40 the last year no problem. Dont do semen that way its different than embryos, you dont want the straw to crystallize with the semen.

kjonesel":vid1fbxv said:
It makes sense since I have had the same thing happen with straws of semen.

Interesting, we have never had a straw of semen explode, and we AI everything so we use a lot of frozen semen.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will share that info with the embryologist next time he is out, and make sure he is taking his time. Tough loosing $$$$$ when that happens.

bse":1cvtcavo said:
Watched some being put in yesterday and she would hold it 20 seconds or so before putting in the water have had no problems with it. Around 40 the last year no problem. Dont do semen that way its different than embryos, you dont want the straw to crystallize with the semen.

bse, my training for thawing semen says to pull the straw from the goblet and shake it to remove loose nitrogen, then immediately drop it into the thraw water. Is that what you do? BTW: I hear a little "sizzle" when the straw contacts the water. I assume that is because of the extreme temperature difference.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1brxaknr said:
kjonesel":1brxaknr said:

Interesting, we have never had a straw of semen explode, and we AI everything so we use a lot of frozen semen.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will share that info with the embryologist next time he is out, and make sure he is taking his time. Tough loosing $$$$$ when that happens.

Happens every time if I don't get that drop of nitrogen shaken off the bottom of the straw :( Sometimes they pop and you don't know why but usually you know what you did wrong.
I'm careful to only lift them out one at a time for that reason. It's easy to accidentally catch two and tempting to pull them both out if you need them both, but invariably only one dries when shaken and the other explodes.

Fire Sweep Ranch":2663itvu said:
kjonesel":2663itvu said:

It depends on who packs it. I've had batches where you practically had to wear safety goggles to thaw semen then the same company would change who is in charge of packing semen and the problem disappears. When sorted semen first hit the market it was all packaged at the same facility so there was no difference in between companies and I would estimate that ten percent of the first ten thousand units of that stuff that I used blew up the minute it touched the thaw box. I thaw up to twenty at a time so for about a year I was literally shielding my face every time I dumped a load of semen in the water. :lol:

Had it happen to me this spring. Vet pulled the embryo straw out of the tank and slid it into the thaw bath and POP....sounded like a gun shot. I wasn't sure what happened at first and then she said, "Crap, that's not good." She looked to see if the little air pockets were still trapping the embryo in there but it didn't look good. I thought I was going to throw up since it was the most valuable embryo I had. We still put it in, but then put another embryo in of a different breeding since she figured the chance of the first one implanting was very slim. Well, neither one of them stuck and the cow ended up being open this fall anyway so guess it wasn't meant to be from the get-go.

Latest posts