Ellingson Chaps

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckyguy

Reaction score
Has anyone used Chaps semen very much? How do the calves look?
I really like the way Resource stamped his looks on calves. I'd like to find a economical bull to breed our commercial cows to. Leaning hard toward using Chaps.

Funny you ask. We have not used them but I just looked through their catalog (their sale was last Saturday) and my goodness their cows are beautiful.

Have you thought about going back on the resource females with a Charlo son? Schaff sure is.

I'm not sure to be honest. I want to make small to medium frame thick heifers because they sell.

Every Angus sale I've been to the Resource calves always stood out. I was just hoping Chaps could pass that phenotype on. ABS has him on sale for $22/straw on the spring special.

From what I've seen, I think chaps stamps them well just like his sire. And does it with some CED and CEM thrown in the mix.

Resource is a -1 for CEM and Charlo is a -3. You're right, those kind are easy to sell from the eye appeal standpoint, but that combination would have to rear its ugly head at some point

I agree. The -1 CEM is what always worried me about using Resource. He has enough calves that their has to be some proof behind the number being so bad.

For sure. 2293 progeny records. There's something to it. Even if it doesn't wreck you in the first generation, you've introduced those genes into the mix