Electrical experts......

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
The water pump went out on my daughters GE cloths washer yesterday. The bad OEM pump on the washer said 110w as I had a pump off of a junked GE, a little newer washer style, that says 85w, but they will interchange on the bracket and look very similar. Everything else was the same readings on the pumps. I cycled the water in the washer a few times after putting the new pump on and it seemed to pump out Okay. A new pump is $108 as if that is what is needed no problem, but my question is will the pump I put on be okay. Will the transformer output to it be to much?

The 85w pump won't be as powerful as the 110w but other than that it should be fine.

If true one thing I found is a device will only draw as much power as it needs at any given time. Maybe even though the old pump is 110w the newer 85w will only draw the power that is needed and not be overload from the output of the transformer.

Lucky said:
The 85w pump won't be as powerful as the 110w but other than that it should be fine.
I did notice it seemed to not pump out as fast so you maybe on to something. Thanks as I had not thought of that.

I have put a motor on the washer and the top board behind the timer before to try and keep it going. These newer washers are a POS, so I try to keep them going as long as possible. I figure when the transmission goes, that is the death penalty. I have repaired mine and my mothers a couple times so far. Does anybody know of a new washer they actually like?

We have had a top loader LG without a agitator and has been pretty good for 8 years not. I did have to replace the pump on it. If you really want to have something that never fails get a rub board and wash pot. That is the way my mother did launder in the early thirties and through the fifties. Wash pot in the yard with a fire built under it. Cloths in the pot with some lye soap shaved and stirred with a wooden paddle. Then in to her rinse tub twice with fresh water each time. Wrung by hand and hung on a barb wire fence to dry. No clothes pins required. And we think we need to go back to the good old days oh gosh.

jltrent said:
I have put a motor on the washer and the top board behind the timer before to try and keep it going. These newer washers are a POS, so I try to keep them going as long as possible. I figure when the transmission goes, that is the death penalty. I have repaired mine and my mothers a couple times so far. Does anybody know of a new washer they actually like?

Cheapest possible option. Amana was the cheapest here and has done very well the last couple years for $400 washer. Before that was Kenmore which lasted about 20 years. But all the High Efficiency/Water Saving standards have screwed washers up for good in terms of reliability. Too many electronics.

hurleyjd said:
We have had a top loader LG without a agitator and has been pretty good for 8 years not. I did have to replace the pump on it. If you really want to have something that never fails get a rub board and wash pot. That is the way my mother did launder in the early thirties and through the fifties. Wash pot in the yard with a fire built under it. Cloths in the pot with some lye soap shaved and stirred with a wooden paddle. Then in to her rinse tub twice with fresh water each time. Wrung by hand and hung on a barb wire fence to dry. No clothes pins required. And we think we need to go back to the good old days oh gosh.
Good read as we have it made today compared to then.

Latest posts