Electrical issue

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
About an hour after bed time, my recepticals in my bedroom stopped working. I checked the breaker, and it was not tripped. I tripped it off and on a few times, and nothing. Where do I start to run that problem down?

Have you got a voltage tester? Gotta start at one end start proving things. I would probably start by making sure there was power leaving the breaker, and making sure ground and neutral are still properly attached. Then move to the plugs.

Pull the receptacle and check the in coming feed. If dead trace back to the next receptacle in the line. I've had mice, rats or squirrels eat the plastic and copper wire. Also had a loose wire coming off the receptacle feeding the dead one, which is more likely to be the problem.

Flip the breaker off. Check for any GFI receptacles on the circuit. Check each receptacle on the circuit, look for any signs of scorching, then open them up and start looking for a loose wire. The push-in connections on the back of the recept are especially notorious.

Make sure to check every one on the circuit. Could be some in hallways or other bedrooms on the same circuit. If its an older house, could also be one in baths, lvr or dining as well on same circuit.

You could have an open neutral as easily as hot. If you don't have a good multi-meter you should really get one with an inductive current clamp.

Not sure what the connection is, but something happened to our cable television at the exact same time. Don't know if my electricity got the cable, or the cable got my electricity.

breaker might just be bad or you could have a plug bad, or as someone else said.. a ground fault plug tripped somewhere.

you could swap a breaker around and test it that way for a quick test.

Bigfoot":pm0chycz said:
Not sure what the connection is, but something happened to our cable television at the exact same time. Don't know if my electricity got the cable, or the cable got my electricity.

il_340x270.1325934129_tt4f.jpg

ufo-we-have-their-leader_2_0.jpg

I was drifting to sleep, and a little sound woke me up. I noticed the clocks in the room weren't working, and no lights on the tv. Yesterday afternoon, cable was out all over the house. Wife called the cable company. They said the problem was outside, and had occurred at 10:47 on the previous night.

Also...check to make sure the connection on the breaker is tight. We had an issue with the oven tripping the breaker. Appliance technition couldn't find anything wrong with the oven. Told me to check the breaker connection and it was loose. How and why? Expansion and contraction is all I can figure. Used to have to tighten battery cables every year when it got cold on a truck I had.

Well, they came and fixed the cable. Said a power surge was what got the equipment, but it wouldn't have been enough to damage anything in the house. I guess I believe them, because I really don't know much about electricity. Got a call in to my electrician, but he hasn't called me back. Guess I'll throw money at the problem, til the problem goes away. I've tried the majority of the suggestions yaw made, and haven't isolated the problem yet.

Bigfoot":1c1ybl8x said:
Well, they came and fixed the cable. Said a power surge was what got the equipment, but it wouldn't have been enough to damage anything in the house. I guess I believe them, because I really don't know much about electricity. Got a call in to my electrician, but he hasn't called me back. Guess I'll throw money at the problem, til the problem goes away. I've tried the majority of the suggestions yaw made, and haven't isolated the problem yet.

Troy. Do any of the outlets on that breaker have a GFI "reset" like this:
54yro3.jpg

If that reset trips, it shuts off electric to everything on that breaker. Check to make sure the reset was not tripped.

Bright Raven":3gzmdqw8 said:
Bigfoot":3gzmdqw8 said:

Troy. Do any of the outlets on that breaker have a GFI "reset" like this:
54yro3.jpg

If that reset trips, it shuts off electric to everything on that breaker. Check to make sure the reset was not tripped.

Naw. Bathroom and kitchen, but not bedroom.

Electrician came today. 75 cents for a receptical, $90 for labor. I'm not complaining, simple as it was, I couldn't figure it out. I worked construction one summer, as a kid. Mr. Robertson told me when I started, "You'd be great at packin block, and pullin nails out of two by fours". I guess he knew true talent when he saw it.

You should look in to taking a short course on basic electricity and troubleshooting circuits. Every home owner should. $90 is cheap enough, but it's still $90.

greybeard":33zoj4ro said:
You should look in to taking a short course on basic electricity and troubleshooting circuits. Every home owner should. $90 is cheap enough, but it's still $90.

Your right. I'm going to check around.

Bigfoot":3b5hcqp5 said:
greybeard":3b5hcqp5 said:

I don't agree, electricity is nothing to mess with. Use a professional, there are many other things that you can save money on.

melking":3b0xb1ls said:
Bigfoot":3b0xb1ls said:
greybeard":3b0xb1ls said:

I don't agree, electricity is nothing to mess with. Use a professional, there are many other things that you can save money on.

True. It's rocket surgery and none of us should ever mess with it at all. :roll:

Good lord...it's a freaking wall receptacle probably with no more than 3 wires going to it..no one's suggesting he re-wire New York City in it's entirety.

Latest posts