Electric prods

Help Support CattleToday:

Deepsouth

Reaction score
where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far n
I'm not a push and holler type guy with my cows. I prefer leading over driving them. For the most part this works pretty good for me but cows being cows you run into those stubborn ones from time to time. Most of my problems are in the squeeze chute. Not getting them in it but getting them out. For some reason I have some cows that when you release the head gate they back up and sulk and refuse to go out. My squeeze has side gates and I have to open them to get some out. That's ok but it can be dangerous and takes a lot of time.
I'm going to get me an electric prod and would like to hear which ones y'all recommend.

I have a red hot shot. Works fine but if I were buying a new one I would get on of the yellow 'Stock Shock". Which ever brand you get be sure it has a long shaft. The little short ones will work in the chute use you described but if you ever need it outside the chute you will be standing too close. I have seen more than one guy kicked to the moon trying to use a short hot shot.

The red Hot Shot are the only ones I've ever used but I haven't used one in a long time. I went into a Tractor Supply yesterday to get one but they didn't have Hot Shots but some other brands. That's why I come on and asked.
I looked up the Stock Shock and it looks like a good one. I'm going to check some of the local feed and seed stores and see what they have. I know one that probably carry Hot Shot.

I bought the yellow one and it is to short. Dam bull kicked, missed me but caught a panel and it liked to have knocked me out. He was on his way to the sale anyway. We have some that are stubborn and we shut a gate behind them or but in a bar so they won't back up. Ours then just walk out.

I have them all. red, blue green.. (they are the same) but I got me a magrath yellow one a few years back that i really like.

Get one with a flexible prod the ones made out of hard plastic break to easy. I have 2 of the flexible ones got them caught between a cow and the pens they bend and bounce right back and still work.

wacocowboy":ehn7j15r said:
Get one with a flexible prod the ones made out of hard plastic break to easy. I have 2 of the flexible ones got them caught between a cow and the pens they bend and bounce right back and still work.

I didn't even realize they had some with flexible shafts until I looked up the stock shock. That seemed like a good idea.

Yellow seems to be hottest....just don't forget that once you push that button they hold their charge until you stick it to something even after you release the button.

Deepsouth":36j6o5kb said:
wacocowboy":36j6o5kb said:

I didn't even realize they had some with flexible shafts until I looked up the stock shock. That seemed like a good idea.
Doesn't take much. Smacking one on the back like a stick when the batteries die gets expensive real quick.

TexasBred":88pc11yv said:
Yellow seems to be hottest....just don't forget that once you push that button they hold their charge until you stick it to something even after you release the button.

I know a guy had one of the yellow ones in his truck he hit a bump and it fell over on him gave him a good shock and sent him into a ditch lucky he was ok just wet his pants.

wacocowboy":1sldj9wk said:
TexasBred":1sldj9wk said:

I know a guy had one of the yellow ones in his truck he hit a bump and it fell over on him gave him a good shock and sent him into a ditch lucky he was ok just wet his pants.
:lol2: :lol2: That could have been me except I would have shyt mine. :lol2:

TexasBred":3qig9el1 said:
wacocowboy":3qig9el1 said:
TexasBred":3qig9el1 said:

:lol2: :lol2: That could have been me except I would have shyt mine. :lol2:

He may have done that to but just didn't admit to it lol. I know he learned to put the prongs down to the floor board

They don't hurt that bad. I've had a hot shot stuck to me several times and its a surprise when it happens. All I ever did was plan my revenge to payback my little brother.

Latest posts