Electric Branding Iron Q's

Help Support CattleToday:

2/B or not 2/B

Reaction score
We got our new electric branding iron from L-H. It sure is sturdy and well made. We need to do some vaccinating and worming but we were waiting for the brander to arrive, and now it's raining so we're waiting till next weekend. I was just wondering what tips you might have. I know about using a sand bucket and wire brush to keep the iron clean. I know about using the proper gauge extension cord too, but that's about it. The cows are getting pretty hairy. Can I burn the hair off with the iron by touching it to them lightly the first time, or does it need to be clipped? If it needs to be clipped, can I use scissors? Clippers are expensive and I'm pretty sure the bf doesn't want me using his! Approx. how long does it take to get the saddle leather color of a proper brand? Ten seconds or so?

Also, one last thing...our brand is registered on the left hip and we always used to put it right in the middle, but I notice that some people put it really high on the hip, some in the middle, and some very low, just at the top of the leg. Is this just a matter of preference? I would think maybe the lower you place it, the more the animal can move and kick (we're using a squeeze chute) while you're placing the brand.

For those who use electric branders, your tips and tricks would be very much appreciated.

I am no expert on branding, but usually if the iron is hot enough it takes about 6-8 seconds to get the desired burn.

The reason for burning low down on the hip is to limit hide damage, although I am yet to see an animal discounted for brand damage. An immobiliser will make the whole experience less stressfull for both you and the animal.

2/B or not 2/B":1x4qw30a said:
KNERSIE":1x4qw30a said:
An immobiliser will make the whole experience less stressfull for both you and the animal.

What do you mean by immobiliser?

You get many variations, some use two crocodile clamps, one on the lip and the other next to the tailroot on that skinfold, and my preference is just an rectal probe. Basically an electric current is passed through the animal that completely immobilises it making branding and jobs like dental work, dehorning etc much simpler.

KNERSIE":3kezr89l said:
Basically an electric current is passed through the animal that completely immobilises it making branding and jobs like dental work, dehorning etc much simpler.

I see. I don't know anyone that uses an immobilizer.

I'd like to be able to brand on the lower hip just above the leg, but it seems like a very mobile part of the body, even in a squeeze. If that's the case, I'm thinking we'll end up going with the mid-hip. We haven't been branding at all, but we have 3 different adjacent neighbors with cows so we've decided to start.

hope this helps I use elctric irons and as far as hair goes put the iron on for a few seconds and burn the hair off usually the cow will move when you do this then in the same spot put the iron on and count to eight if the brand looks white you were on too long and the hide is beginning to sluff off so cut back on the time you can always go back on, on black cows you want a saddle leather color. by putting the iron on twice you get a cleaner brand and the iron doesn't slip as much and the cow usually doesn't move the second time you after you burn the hairoff i guess it kinda desensitizes the area

We used to use fire brands on the horses & heifers, we had 2 ways of doing the job. First was a smal pice of cut pine that would fit in the palm of your hand we would tap that on the area where the brand would go. The 2nd was using a damp paper towel placed on the area where the brand was going they couldn't feel the heat of the branding iron until it was over & we were wiping the brand. For anything with long hair we would use a pair of scissors on them.

Never used an electric iron. We always used a fire heated iron and it was red hot when actually making the brand. So it didn't really matter if the animal had long hair or not.

Some one talks about an "immobilizer" above. You can do basically the same thing by grabbing the tail up close to the body and pick up and twist slightly. Tail needs to bend back over their back somewhat for it to work. When you get it right they won't move a lot when you put the brand on them. You really need two people for doing this. I've seen my Dad do it by himself but if you don't get it right you might end up branding yourself. :)

As far a position goes you need to place the brand on a spot where you can have the whole brand come in contact with the skin at one time. This idea that you can hit them twice in the same spot doesn't wash - at least not around my place. The animals are moving, you're moving and you certainly don't want to camp out on the spot with a hot iron. So best to get the iron really hot and hit them once for a couple of seconds and you're done.

Last, but not least. Someone mentioned a while back about pour-on meds and branding. Best not do both operations at one time. Most of the pour-on's are flamable so if you brand and apply the meds at the same time you might wind up with a hairless animal and maybe some of your hair gone as well.

Had a successful day working cows yesterday. As far as the brands, I guess we'll have to wait and see how they turn out. The sand bucket was great as it held the iron safely and cleaned it off between brands. The iron was very hot and only took about a total of 3 seconds to make the proper saddle leather color on the hide. A squeeze chute can't hold the hip area steady, even with someone holding the tail (maybe we still need practice with this) so it was impossible to hold the brander in one place for the whole 3 seconds. But quickly hitting the same spot a few times in a row seemed to work since you have about a second before they react at all. Thank you, Earl, for the reminder that pour on is a flammable chemical. We wormed last. Although they didn't exactly enjoy it, it really wasn't that bad. What they hate worse is when I spray the Catron tick spray in their ears.

Latest posts