EID tags will be required by 01/1/2021.

Help Support CattleToday:

If we as a industry are stupid enough to fall for this crap we deserve to be put out of busniess. They told us 20 years age we had to do it. It ain't here yet.

Nesikep said:
I really don't see why there's any debate about what frequency tags to use, why not use the ones everyone else is already using?

I have a problem with the low frequency tags. UHF tags would require a scanner that would be a fraction of the cost and could be used over distance. You could actually set a scanner up at a gate and run your cows through and record them all. The low frequency tags are useless unless the cow is in the chute or dead. From a usefulness perspective on the ranch I could imagine a lot of ways to incorporate UHF tags and a reader.

When our system came into place we were promised carcass data and that the tags would never be more than $2.00. Lies.We got some carcass data up to 2014 when the packers who were voluntarily providing data to BIXS decided not to continue. And now we pay $3.00 per tag.
And nobody removes your tag numbers from the system at slaughter. According to CCIA I have a few thousand head in the system.
Could it be a good and helpful system? Yes. Is it? No.

Silver said:
Nesikep said:
I really don't see why there's any debate about what frequency tags to use, why not use the ones everyone else is already using?

I have a problem with the low frequency tags. UHF tags would require a scanner that would be a fraction of the cost and could be used over distance. You could actually set a scanner up at a gate and run your cows through and record them all. The low frequency tags are useless unless the cow is in the chute or dead. From a usefulness perspective on the ranch I could imagine a lot of ways to incorporate UHF tags and a reader.

When our system came into place we were promised carcass data and that the tags would never be more than $2.00. Lies.We got some carcass data up to 2014 when the packers who were voluntarily providing data to BIXS decided not to continue. And now we pay $3.00 per tag.
And nobody removes your tag numbers from the system at slaughter. According to CCIA I have a few thousand head in the system.
Could it be a good and helpful system? Yes. Is it? No.
exactly.. the $3 a tag is if you buy 100 or more, otherwise it's $4 each! I only bother tagging steers at birth, heifer calves might get one at birth if I know they're terminal..

I would LOVE to be able to know what the carcass qualities on my animals are like, THAT would really be valuable information to me since I can't exactly see that.

well, there's a way to feel better about the size of your herd.. ask CCIA how many you have.. we probably have 300 or so

Unless you retain ownership, he$$ will freeze over first before the packer shares carcass data with producers.
I got caught up with the early 2000 optional push for EID tags and ranch ID deal when I was located in CA. When it sunk in, I was mortified to have been so willingly gullible aka incredibly stupid. :bang:

Buck Randall said:
dieselbeef said:
CUZ WE NEED MORE CRAP WE DONT GET PAID FOR...
The only producers that this will harm are the ones who probably shouldn't be in the business at all. If we don't get on board, we'll lose markets to someone who does.

I pretty much agree.
The scrapies tag required in the sheep industry is really designed to protect the producer.
It cost three dollars if you let the sale barn handle it. Or you can call the USDA and they will send you more tags than you'll ever use , and several application tools for free. ..

If you want some insight into this push for EID tags read up on the World Wildlife Fund, NCBA and the Global Roundtable for Sustainable Beef.

Well I think the concept is good but the administration is awful....
The government let the packers and NCBA structure the program...
the producer gets no benefit and all the responsibility...
also having a permanent ID assigned to a temporary device such as a tag is idiotic to the extreme....
in the beginning there was the possibility of using RFID Implants in the ear cartilage or in the cartilage above the foot.
The packers put a stop to that out of fear that they might have to throw away an ear.....destroying their profit margins...
thousands of horses are chipped with no problems what so ever....thousands of dogs are chipped...but few of us eat dogs...both of my dogs are chipped....thinking of doing my horses and my few cows...
mostly because people keep telling me that I can not....
yeah....I have some stubborn genes too...

I know several western states are saying that a hot iron brand is as good as a EID tag. Actually it is better. That EID tag could be cut out or lost. A hot iron brand is staying with the cow for life.

Dave said:
I know several western states are saying that a hot iron brand is as good as a EID tag. Actually it is better. That EID tag could be cut out or lost. A hot iron brand is staying with the cow for life.

I have hot branded when I was another mans cowboy for a few years....
I hated it...I was the guy holding the calves...I didn't mind holding the calves....but the burning flesh and hair and the calves bawling and the hard to read brands that did not turn out so well...
I know it is tradition and part of the life in the west....

but if I had to go back to branding it would be freeze branding again....a little more work and a little more prep time but definitely better and for just a little bit of money you can get a set of numbers and permanently id individual animals, not just a ranch brand. I saw a cow a little while back that I sold over ten years ago....I knew the brand number...

76 Bar said:
Unless you retain ownership, he$$ will freeze over first before the packer shares carcass data with producers.
I got caught up with the early 2000 optional push for EID tags and ranch ID deal when I was located in CA. When it sunk in, I was mortified to have been so willingly gullible aka incredibly stupid. :bang:

Incredibly stupid is what we will all be if we allow this nanny state crap to happen. Anyone that doesn't think cattle can be traced in this country is nuts. If you don't believe it load one up with bird shot and send her to the sale barn. Some one will be in contact with you. No i am not the one that put the bird shot in the cow.

Latest posts