Use of Electronic Identification Eartags as Official Identification in Cattle and Bison APHIS-2021-0020-0001 Singeltary

Help Support CattleToday:

flounder

Reaction score
SUNDAY, MARCH 19, 2023

Use of Electronic Identification Eartags as Official Identification in Cattle and Bison APHIS-2021-0020-0001 Singeltary

Greetings again APHIS et al,

I would kindly comment and voice my concerns again about the lack of a NAIS/COOL mandatory policy, and how important it is.

You need not look any further with the past history of the USA and it's own lack of traceability of it's own BSE cases in the past, and most importantly recent discovery of mad cow disease cases in different countries, than to see that the United States needs a MANDATORY Policy to identify where livestock products come from.

I cannot believe it's 2023 and we are still debating this issue.

IT is imperative that the USA puts forth immediately a MANDATORY National Animal Identification System and Country Of Origin Labeling System, for the sake of livestock industry and the consumers that consume their products...terry

snip...

You are commenting on a Proposed Rule by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service

Use of Electronic Identification Eartags as Official Identification in Cattle and Bison Submitted Successfully!

Your comment has been sent for review. This process is dependent on agency public submission policies/procedures and processing times. Once the agency has posted your comment, you may view it on Regulations.gov using your Comment Tracking Number.

https://naiscoolyes.blogspot.com/2023/03/use-of-electronic-identification.html

terry

There is absolutely no way we as the American beef producing industry could possibly track every individual bovine in the country. Some producers don't even see every animal every year. How are they supposed to trace them?

flounder > With all due respect you need to think about changing your I D. (flounder) has posted 1000 + times and received 4 ? responses!
It may be hard for a cattleman to communicate with a fish and a flat one at that!
Another problem is the topic matter is strictly political as the only people with the power to do anything about the Country of Origin Labeling
are in Congress and the powers that lie within this organization have yet to grasp the fact.
You can try moving it to the political forum but it will probably just confuse the help.
Trying to put an electronic ID on every bovine in the U S surpasses even the idiocy putting
a mask on every person to prevent Covid. I would suggest before you lodge any other campaigns regarding CooL that you contact
US Senator Charles Grassley Rep IA and find out what progress is being made regarding country of origin labeling.

There is absolutely no way we as the American beef producing industry could possibly track every individual bovine in the country. Some producers don't even see every animal every year. How are they supposed to trace them?
My understanding is that it would only apply to cattle that leave the farm. If you have cattle crawling around in the woods that you haven't seen in three years, nobody is going to come looking for them. If an animal was born on your farm and is taken directly to slaughter from there, official identification wouldn't be required.

If they go through a sale barn or to another farm, they would need EID, but that could be done at the sale barn. It wouldn't be a small undertaking, but it's not impossible like some people make it out to be.

My understanding is that it would only apply to cattle that leave the farm. If you have cattle crawling around in the woods that you haven't seen in three years, nobody is going to come looking for them. If an animal was born on your farm and is taken directly to slaughter from there, official identification wouldn't be required.

If they go through a sale barn or to another farm, they would need EID, but that could be done at the sale barn. It wouldn't be a small undertaking, but it's not impossible like some people make it out to be.
Interesting. So in theory it needs to start with the packers and work backwards. Kind of like how Tyson requires BQA. If you are not certified you can not sell cattle to them, and if you are not BQA transport certified you can not haul cattle to them.
The only way you will get producers to comply is to make it cost prohibitive not to. If the packers require it and the feed lots quit buying feeders that can't be traced then in theory the cow calf producers will have to comply.

Latest posts