EID tags will be required by 01/1/2021.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
It looks a AIN, "animal identification number" will be required for any animal over 18 months that leaves the farm in Georgia starting January 2021. Good bad or otherwise we have a start to traceability, hopefully more markets will open up for US beef. We haven't heard how it will affect imported beef sold as a product of the US.

True Grit Farms said:
It looks a AIN, "animal identification number" will be required for any animal over 18 months that leaves the farm in Georgia starting January 2021. Good bad or otherwise we have a start to traceability, hopefully more markets will open up for US beef. We haven't heard how it will affect imported beef sold as a product of the US.

That's interesting Vince, thanks for posting. Can you provide a link to your source? I'd like to read more.

Thanks

TennesseeTuxedo said:
True Grit Farms said:

That's interesting Vince, thanks for posting. Can you provide a link to your source? I'd like to read more.

Thanks

The boss was in a meeting with those in the know yesterday and that's where I got it from. AIN will be officially announced in August. All the southeastern states will be low frequency. Florida already has AIN in place and is working on a user friendly transition period. The USDA "THINKS" there's enough metal ear tags to make it till 2021.
Public input my but, we have no say in what the USDA does. My guess is the NCBA and big beef importers have worked something out.

True Grit Farms said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
True Grit Farms said:

Thanks

The boss was in a meeting with those in the know yesterday and that's where I got it from. AIN will be officially announced in August. All the southeastern states will be low frequency. Florida already has AIN in place and is working on a user friendly transition period. The USDA "THINKS" there's enough metal ear tags to make it till 2021.
Public input my but, we have no say in what the USDA does. My guess is the NCBA and big beef importers have worked something out.

Sounds like a good idea and well overdue.

dieselbeef said:
CUZ WE NEED MORE CRAP WE DONT GET PAID FOR...
The only producers that this will harm are the ones who probably shouldn't be in the business at all. If we don't get on board, we'll lose markets to someone who does.

Will foreign beef require the same tagging, and tractability to be sold in US?
Are foreign producers BQA qualified?
Is COOL labeling required for all foreign beef?

Those are the questions I will be asking the cronies when they show up. Any one of the questions they answer yes to, I will apply to my herd, other wise not gonna happen.

It's all about control, they couldn't kill off the independent beef industry with low prices, and high cost, so they will do it through regulations. Anyone that falls for their lies about helping the industry, is a fool.
Want to help the US Beef industry, then put the foreign beef on the same playing field.

sim.-ang.king said:

Those are the questions I will be asking the cronies when they show up. Any one of the questions they answer yes to, I will apply to my herd, other wise not gonna happen.

It's all about control, they couldn't kill off the independent beef industry with low prices, and high cost, so they will do it through regulations. Anyone that falls for their lies about helping the industry, is a fool.
Want to help the US Beef industry, then put the foreign beef on the same playing field.

You can bet I'm going to be asking those questions when I meet Mrs Houston of NCBA at the end of July. I'll be wearing a new R-CALF red cap that says, Make US Beef Great Again. Hopefully I won't cuss and get off subject again about COOL. The NCBA representatives are really good at deflecting the questions and talking in circles.

sim.-ang.king said:

Why would you want foreign producers to get BQA certified or have traceability? It gives the American producer a leg up in the market. Put a big sticker on every product that says "HUMANE RAISED" or "SINGLE SOURCE" and people will pay a premium for it. This is not some inordinate burden or control measure. It's just a tag.

sim.-ang.king said:

Well Sim Australia has had EID for about 13 years now and has full traceability so looks the answer to your first question is YES so looks like you will be doing it.

Ken

We've had it for a long time too.. I don't like the $3 a tag idea.. has it helped our beef industry? I have a hard time believing that it's really made much difference other than a feel-good effect.. I once wanted to know where one of my calves went... Nope, can't do that, it's only reverse traceable, not forward traceable.. *rolleyes*

If you don't have the animal tagged when it gets to the sale barn, that's alright, they'll just charge you $10 a tag to put them in.

I really don't see why there's any debate about what frequency tags to use, why not use the ones everyone else is already using?

Well right now, it isn't even officially required and probably not legal to ask any one human where they come from .."officially", (tho scotus is going to rule on it later this session,) but the govt wants to know where every US animal came from but not all foreign animals?

Level the playing field.

wbvs58 said:
sim.-ang.king said:

Well Sim Australia has had EID for about 13 years now and has full traceability so looks the answer to your first question is YES so looks like you will be doing it.

Ken

I knew the nanny state did already, but we get beef from more than just down under.
A level playing field is all I ask. Domestic or Abroad.

Buck Randall said:
sim.-ang.king said:

Why would you want foreign producers to get BQA certified or have traceability? It gives the American producer a leg up in the market. Put a big sticker on every product that says "HUMANE RAISED" or "SINGLE SOURCE" and people will pay a premium for it. This is not some inordinate burden or control measure. It's just a tag.
We can't even get the COOL (country of origin) on the label so what would any of this matter. Some South American countries still allow chemicals to be used on cattle and vegetables that were banned here years ago. This will be no better. Identify yours but theirs are ok.

True Grit Farms said:
Extension Service talked this in VA in the early 2000's. Told people they needed to register their farms or they couldnt sell the cattle. A few did. Most of us laughed at it. It never happened.

sim.-ang.king said:
wbvs58 said:
sim.-ang.king said:

Ken

I knew the nanny state did already, but we get beef from more than just down under.
A level playing field is all I ask. Domestic or Abroad.

You know many of us were against it when it came in but had been a wonderful thing. Ease of handling as they can just run through the scanners at the saleyards. Traceability right back to where it came should their be a disease outbreak. Every property they have been at is identifiable for quick quarantine. It is protecting YOUR industry. Fruit and vegetables has been doing this for years, traceability and accountability. Nothing is perfect of course and we have the same issues and arguments with imported products. It has actually helped us in the fight against imports on a few occasions and has aloud us in the fruit and vegetable industry gain access to markets we would have had no chance. Every producer here has a PIC (property identification code) and really it is cheap insurance. Being such an advanced and world leading nation i am surprised you guys have not had this years ago. But having said all that it's better for us moving forward if you don't as many countries are now demanding traceability and we are a step ahead there.

Latest posts