Eat what you kill

Help Support CattleToday:

angie1

Reaction score
Sorry KMacGinley ~ I just got back on the boards after a several day hiatus. I noticed you asked on the 5th page of "Charging Cow" Subject on Beginners board why i let my kid shoot cow birds and does he have to eat them (I don't know how to do quotes). He's 9, i said he is allowed to hunt cow birds, i didn't say he shoots them:) Also, he is allowed because these are the only birds i know of in our area that don't raise their own babies so i don't have to worry about baby birds starving in a nest somewhere (yes, i would worry about that). He has successfully shot 2 (over 5,000 shots fired), happily cleaned them on his own and threw them on the grill or in the pan. I don't eat them but he is THRILLED to! I appreciate the "eat what you kill" school of thought:)

I have to ask why you let him hunt something like that? Why not let him hunt something a little better eating?

Not trying to be controversal at all. This could be a very good thread and good subject. I would not eat a copperhead but I pop every one I see. Gophers too.

backhoeboogie":2tugy7sg said:
I would not eat a copperhead but I pop every one I see. Gophers too.

I'm the same way with coyotes, possums and coons. Tried possum once. Really it was more like I tried to try possum once.

curtis":26mru06y said:
Eat cow birds...... is the food chain that weak up north?

Got some cajun buddies from Lafayette, La. that say those young egrets are tasty!

They pole around in the Atchafalya swamp and get the baby egrets out of the nest to make some sort of concoction.

One of my uncles had that rule-that's why his boy had to eat an owl he'd accidently shot. :shock: .Sure made him more careful aimingthat gun. :lol:

peg4x4":1e7y7vl4 said:
One of my uncles had that rule-that's why his boy had to eat an owl he'd accidently shot. :shock: .Sure made him more careful aimingthat gun. :lol:

I love "Spotted Owls" cooked in the crockpot.
:lol:
Asked the girl at the courthouse where I get hunting license to give me a permit for Red-Headed Peckerwoods and Spotted Owls.

She was an old hippy type girl and went ballistic. Damn treehuggers.

LOL, you should have told her you had just poisoned a covey of them and were just looking to do the right thing and payt for the permit. :lol:

All this reminds me of a joke I once heard.

Once there was a man in court for shooting a Turkey Buzzard. During the hearing the DOW officer asked the man what he did with the bird. The man said "I ate it".

After court was over the DOW officer said to the man "I can't believe you ate that Turkey Buzzard. What in the world did he taste like anyway"? The man replied "Oh they taste allot like Bald Eagle or Spotted Owl. :shock:

angie":3lz7sq6h said:
Sorry KMacGinley ~ I just got back on the boards after a several day hiatus. I noticed you asked on the 5th page of "Charging Cow" Subject on Beginners board why i let my kid shoot cow birds and does he have to eat them (I don't know how to do quotes). He's 9, i said he is allowed to hunt cow birds, i didn't say he shoots them:) Also, he is allowed because these are the only birds i know of in our area that don't raise their own babies so i don't have to worry about baby birds starving in a nest somewhere (yes, i would worry about that). He has successfully shot 2 (over 5,000 shots fired), happily cleaned them on his own and threw them on the grill or in the pan. I don't eat them but he is THRILLED to! I appreciate the "eat what you kill" school of thought:)

Get that kid a more accurate pellet gun and tell him to shoot every cowbird he sees. They are a real problem down here with nest parasitism of songbirds. Our Parks & Wildlife Dept. even has a trapping program that they encourage landowners to participate in, and no, they don't make you eat what you trap.

Cowbirds have dramatically increased because of the loss of forestation. They are a bird of the border areas of the forest
and since there are so few large expanses of trees, the situation is ideal for them. Anything or anyone that can kill a cowbird should be encouraged, they are a pest as bad as a starling.

Sorry ~ only have access to internet at night and only some nights at that. I don;t know if cowbird tastes nasty or not, he was just so proud to have shot and cleaned it. I think he would have been real sad if i tossed it.

Latest posts