Eat More Collards!

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Since I enjoyed my watermelon crop so well this summer. (Cash- :lol: )

I have planted 2 acres of Collards.

If worse comes to worse the cows will enjoy them.

I taped up some seed holes in the old JD Drill and planted them using the clover hopper.

Have a little thinning to do, but they seem to be doing well.

Need rain.

iowahawkeyes":1epq0e9r said:
I don't think they even sell those up here. What do they look like? taste like?

Here's a picture:

http://www.fotosearch.com/BDX131/bxp28599/

They taste like heaven, but only if eaten with a good hot green pepper, a pone of cornbread, and a big glass of sweet tea.

Seriously, they are sweeter than turnips greens and not as slimy. :lol:

They could be categorized as "Soul Food". :lol:

Nope, don't have those up here. Don't have much sweet tea either, but I think there's been a discussion on that before.

Good luck with them and don't overeat, I reckon there is some vicious gas!

iowahawkeyes":2vxz648n said:
Nope, don't have those up here. Don't have much sweet tea either, but I think there's been a discussion on that before.

Good luck with them and don't overeat, I reckon there is some vicious gas!

A little methane here and there is ok. :lol:

Ya' gotta cookem down real nice and slow with a big ol' piece of bacon or smoky ham in the pot. Served with a big ol' bowl of beans and the cornbread of course. For a real feast, you might to add some fried chicken or ribs!!
Sweet tea is the nectar of the gods!

I love em. You can get a good mess of young ones when you thin em. Boil em up with a hamhock and salt them eat with pepper viniger and cornbred. Then you can fart 4 times an hour for a day and a half. Loads of fun.
I will be getting a late start on mine so i think I better start with plants.
What kind did youplant?
I use "Georgia"

Cooked up a pot for my neighbor when I lived just outside of Acworth, Ga years ago...she had a local boyfriend and wanted to surprize him with a traditional New Years treat. Had to ask some of our friends how to cook them...I'm grw up in Arizona and never saw a collard before I went in the military..grits either, that wa sa sight me putting sugar and milk on them and thinking that this was the worst cream of wheat the I'd ever eaten.
My garage had that down-home aroma for weeks.
DMc

Collards are wonderful. Never had them til about 6-8 years ago. My mom fixed them. I thought they were the best turnip greens I had ever eaten in my life and then she informed me that they were collards. About half way home my stomach went to cramping and needless to say after I baled out of the truck at home if I had missed that keyhole with the key there would have been one nasty accident. Never affected me like that again although they still cause considerable flatulance. Not safe at all to stand in front of the fireplace. She always said they needed one good frost on them to make them really great.

Pepper sauce on collards is a Southern delicacy. My aunt was living in Michigan many years ago because my uncle was stationed there with the Air Force. She is from Mississippi and as she was grocery shopping one day she saw the produce man cutting the greens off of turnips and discarding the greens. She informed him that he was throwing the best part away and asked if she could have them. He was taken aback that anyone would eat them, but she left that day with a mess of greens. Some folks just don't know what they're missing.

A pot of Collards on New Years Day:

collards.jpg

Bullbuyer":2rnkgfp7 said:
Why does Mike always posts pictures of what he's been cooking but he never invites us BEFORE he does the cooking?

You're all welcome any day of the week. Let me know when you're coming and I'll cook a mess of chitlins especially for you! :lol:

NO WAY!! That is one part of the hog that I will not eat. Don't matter how you cook 'em.
I am gonna get down that way sometime this summer and steal me a load of melons and we'll cook up a mess of beans in that big ol' pot. Soon as I can scrape up enough money to afford the gas to get there and back - might have to sell a kidney or something!

I heard that Collards cause bloat. :shock: No :help: Not in cattle, HUMANS :mrgreen: :cowboy:

mnmtranching":3uhqjocd said:
I heard that Collards cause bloat. :shock: No :help: Not in cattle, HUMANS :mrgreen: :cowboy:

All you have to do is shell one pecan and drop the meat in the pot with the cooking collards.

No gas. ;-)

Collards must require a longer growing season. Sure I've heard of collards, but just must not have enough days between freezes up here. Don't think it's sold in groceries either?

Saw some collards the other night at Wal-Mart. They had a little of everything - kale, mustard, turnip tops - even had some creasy greens (that's what we call it - I've also seen it called water cress) it's my favorite by far! Very difficult to pick, grows flat on the ground and time spent picking is really tough on the old ham string muscles!

Latest posts