more about tators.

Help Support CattleToday:

Medic24

Reaction score
Well ladies and gentlemen, we have begun a new adventure in the world of diversified farming.

An organic produce distributor has offered contracts to local farmers to plant various potatoe varieties for them, and well, we bit at it. At $2.40 PER pound delivered, I could not resist the chance to try it.

I found out quickly of course that this always comes with a price. the purchase of organic certified seed took our costs per 100 cwt from 24 bucks all the way up to as much as $147.00 plus shipping per 100 cwt of seed. Oh well. the organic fertilizer comes cheap anyway, as we make it every day here. We have almost 400 fertilizer makers going 24/7 if you know what I mean.

And if we chose to keep doing this, we would have to become cerified, and at what cost?

not to also mention that they do require that each crop be planted in 'new' ground each year.

But, with a conversion of approx. 1X10 at harvest, it sure seems like a much better pay off then cattle even at today's prices.

I have alwaus eaten what ever tators have been grown locally such as pontiac reds, and blue goose.

But now we are planting rose finn apples, cranberry reds, and of all things............an alaskan black beauty that is in fact as black as coal.

So, any one have any experience with any fingerling tators like this before that you may want to pass on? :cboy:

Latest posts