? about sowing tomato seed, like used to sow tobacco beds?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
It's been around 20 years since we raised tobacco, and longer than that since we raised the plants in ground beds. I was still in school at that time so I wasn't around during the bed preparation and sowing. I remember that we often had some tomato plants along side the tobacco plants. I think they put them out sometime in February, and then covered them over with cotton/canvas material. I would think that they sowed it all at the same time, cause they would not have wanted to disturb the tobacco seed/plants. My question is do I have the time frame of February right or was it later in March, and is it too early to sow tomato seeds in the next week or so?

Ky hills":3lc6sh4p said:
It's been around 20 years since we raised tobacco, and longer than that since we raised the plants in ground beds. I was still in school at that time so I wasn't around during the bed preparation and sowing. I remember that we often had some tomato plants along side the tobacco plants. I think they put them out sometime in February, and then covered them over with cotton/canvas material. I would think that they sowed it all at the same time, cause they would not have wanted to disturb the tobacco seed/plants. My question is do I have the time frame of February right or was it later in March, and is it too early to sow tomato seeds in the next week or so?

we are in the south but we start tomato's and tobacco seed in late feb or early march. we use protein tubs filled with mushroom soil. scatter the seeds in bins and cover them when temps get low . transplant them in the garden after last frost .

You talking about going all in, and fixing a bed just for tomatos? Bromide gas under plastic, and the works? If so, that's a Mid to late March thing.

Thanks y'all.
M-5, I think I will try that too.
Bigfoot, I am just thinking of doing it part way, without the chemicals, probably will be pretty weedy though, just a semi small scale project.

Ky hills":2bp4cy8q said:
Thanks y'all.
M-5, I think I will try that too.
Bigfoot, I am just thinking of doing it part way, without the chemicals, probably will be pretty weedy though, just a semi small scale project.

There was some easy money floating around at either the ascs office, or the Nrcs office for hoop houses. You might check it out.

You could go old school, and burn to kill the weed seeds

You can cover the bed in plastic for a few days beginning on a day with warmer than normal temps and the swing in temperature will kill most weed seed and viruses.

Latest posts