East Texas Pasture Land

Help Support CattleToday:

Brahma Bull

Reaction score
Anyone from East Texas tell me how most of the pasture land is around San Augustine and Nacogdoches is for running cows?
Thinking about selling my beach house at Surfside Beach,put the money in pasture land and cows.Get a lot more rain up there than we do in Hallettsville area.Then got Toledo Bend and Lake Sam Rayburn up there to for Bass fishing.What is the average price per acre for 200 acres?

Now just where do expect to be able to buy those good kolaches in east texas. Besides that cows cannot climb or graze pine trees.
And one more point. You may have to start looking into how to drain all that water off. Seems here lately they have been haveing the problem of to much water. The grass always looks greener somewhere else. :lol:

Where I live which is not quite as far north we average 60" of rain a year. We can run a cow to the acre here. The problem is the grasses I have drainage systems in all the bottom pastures to keep it from standing in water. During drought years I plug off the drainage systems to hold water. Coastal doesn't do well here Bahia is great lower yielding, common bermuda does ok.
Currently have a test plot of Red River crab grass to see how it does, looking to improve yields.

Well some of the land east of Nacogdoches I looked at few years back was sort of rolling hills,no standing water problem there.But some is flat like my place now,good for a rice field.I aint going to complain about too much rain.Bahia does real well in Ezzell area too.My cows wearing rubber boots right now,the wife says.My tractors has been stuck out in the pasture since Dec.Coastal takes a lot of $$$$$ to make it get up and grow.
Starting to see some Jigs in a few places.Pine trees?My cows already know how to climb them,got a bunch of pine trees on my place.My wife always complaining them,the cows climbing the trees.

Like I said the creek bottoms are a problem with acidic soil and water, what is not creek bottom here has to be half goat to graze. Its not as hilly there as where I am at have lots of family up there.

I saw some property near Newton.Just like what your talking about.Creek bottom,had good grass and a pretty good price.
But I could see high water marks coming into the place.The salesman said "oh the water goes down pretty fast".Be good for deer hunting but not running cows.Well where is ground is dirt poor,maybe I could feed my cows Corn Kolaches and Shiner Bock Beer and how to dance to Polka.So Caustic Burno ask your kin-folks if they know of any property might be for sale.

Brahma Bull":382n6sf0 said:
I saw some property near Newton.Just like what your talking about.Creek bottom,had good grass and a pretty good price.
But I could see high water marks coming into the place.The salesman said "oh the water goes down pretty fast".Be good for deer hunting but not running cows.Well where is ground is dirt poor,maybe I could feed my cows Corn Kolaches and Shiner Bock Beer and how to dance to Polka.So Caustic Burno ask your kin-folks if they know of any property might be for sale.

The best for rainfall and decent prices is if you draw a triangle from Woodville to Lufkin over to Crockett.
Polk County is growing in leaps and bounds prices are shooting up,still some good land in the north and east, Trinty county is dirt poor Wal Mart wont even build a store there good cheap farm land though. Angelina County has some beautiful places with reasonable prices on the south side of the county. Tyler county is also very pretty in the north and west with reasonable prices. I dont look for land in Tyler or Angelina county to stay that way long as the are planning the 69 corridor from Beaumont to Lufkin for a hurricane evacuation route.
You might try East Texas Land Co. or M Moffit Realestate they deal in larger tracts. You can run a Cow/calf to the acre here.

I live in Anderson county( about 70 miles west of Nac).lot of good pasture here but Pilgrims are buying up land.300 acres next to me sold for almost $3000/acre. some rich pilgrim from Fort Worth.thats a little high but it made my land worth more.

Caustic Burno":tssmxund said:
Brahma Bull":tssmxund said:

The best for rainfall and decent prices is if you draw a triangle from Woodville to Lufkin over to Crockett.
Polk County is growing in leaps and bounds prices are shooting up,still some good land in the north and east, Trinty county is dirt poor Wal Mart wont even build a store there good cheap farm land though. Angelina County has some beautiful places with reasonable prices on the south side of the county. Tyler county is also very pretty in the north and west with reasonable prices. I dont look for land in Tyler or Angelina county to stay that way long as the are planning the 69 corridor from Beaumont to Lufkin for a hurricane evacuation route.
You might try East Texas Land Co. or M Moffit Realestate they deal in larger tracts. You can run a Cow/calf to the acre here.
So what county are you in Bruno?That is what I am looking for cow/calf per acre.Where I have kin-folks around Brenham.I can"t touch any land with those prices.Most places are horse ranches now.Sure aint like it use to be is it.

Brahma Bull":16q1rbh1 said:
Anyone from East Texas tell me how most of the pasture land is around San Augustine and Nacogdoches is for running cows?
Thinking about selling my beach house at Surfside Beach,put the money in pasture land and cows.Get a lot more rain up there than we do in Hallettsville area.Then got Toledo Bend and Lake Sam Rayburn up there to for Bass fishing.What is the average price per acre for 200 acres?

Sell Beach House for mid to upper six figures: Might be able to buy 200 acres... ;-)

Brahma Bull":1cuqqzb3 said:
Caustic Burno":1cuqqzb3 said:
Brahma Bull":1cuqqzb3 said:

So what county are you in Bruno?That is what I am looking for cow/calf per acre.Where I have kin-folks around Brenham.I can"t touch any land with those prices.Most places are horse ranches now.Sure aint like it use to be is it.

I am in Tyler county good land here and lots of running water. Tyler county is number one or two for springs I can't remember which it is. You can buy timber land for about 2K an acre. Sell the timber bring in a D-8 with a shear blade clear 10 or 12 acres a day and plant pasture. Cleared pasture is running about 2500 to 3000 an acre.

Ok will drive around all the woods in Angelina,Tyler,Jasper counties when I get home on leave.See if I can find anything I like.Yeah it is real beautiful country.Nothing pretty"er than a big herd of fat mom ma cows in belly deep grass in those piney woods.I almost bought some land near Woodville in 85,but the Sartwell Ranch was sold and subdivided.I bought the lot with the old homestead,cow pen,water well.The house was built back in 1890's.Think I have the best part as far as pasture land.
Got both bahai and common burmuda.It was a real rodeo watching those cowboys trying to catch all those wild crazy cows in all that thick brush.Took them over a year to get most of them,never did get them all.Most of the land was and still is swamp,brush,weeds,post oaks,dirt poor.I do good at 2 acres per cow.

Latest posts