East Texas and Deep East Texas cash lease prices/acre?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I saw the other Texas lease thread, that pretty much turned into a discussion of prices up North. The question:
20-100 acres. Grazing only-no hunting.
Native pasture, adequately fenced, water available, ready for cows... Bahia, some coastal and common bermuda, partially wooded ok..
What's the going cash lease/ac price, especially less than 100 miles North of Houston but not West of I-45 very far?
Any of the following:
Montgomery, Tyler, San Jacinto, Walker, Polk, Tyler, Hardin, Angelina, San Augustine, Trinity, Newton, Jefferson, or Orange Counties.

USDA says the following. In line..way under...way over? :

Attachments

• usdanass202pasturerentsmall.jpg
    usdanass202pasturerentsmall.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 24
I'm in Grimes county (southwest corner), which borders Montgomery and is within your specified area, and I think those are low if anything. The last place I leased I was paying $15.00 per acre per year. I gave it up about 5 years ago when it jumped to $25.00. It's leased now, so maybe someone else was willing to pay that.

On the other hand, I have a couple other places I'm running cattle on now, but I'm not paying rent. The owner is just happy I'm keeping cattle on it so he doesn't lose the ag exemption.

What some one will pay and what is a smart amount to pay are two different things.

20-100ac is a huge range. 20ac is not hardly worth leasing unless it's dang near free, has nice facilities, and good fencing. Pretty much triad maintenance for the lease.

On 100ac lease try to lease per head. $100 per head, + or - $25 depending on facilities, fencing, and what all you are responsible for. If the owner cant wrap their head around it because every one tells them a per ac price just take your number of head, times it by dollars per head, and divide it by the number of acres.

100ac is usually less than 30 head year end and year out. Not much margin on that unless it's really close or bordering some thing you already own.

"20-100ac is a huge range. 20ac is not hardly worth leasing unless it's dang near free, has nice facilities, and good fencing. Pretty much triad maintenance for the lease."

I'm not familiar with the term 'Triad Maintenance'. What does it mean?

You get a lease on good ground that needs improvement. Fix fences, mow, fertilize, get it producing, then the owner ups the rent. A long term lease agreement is the only way out in a situation like that.

I know of one place that the price is $65 per acre around 1000 acres. I have 75 acres that this week I was offered $40 per acre for hay production. Probable not take it. The 75 acres will make 900 rolls in a average year without any help as it is an ole diary place that had cows on it since 1954. Dairy had operated for 41 years.All feed and hay brought in and fed with nothing but pasture for gazing.

Latest posts