Easiest weaning EVER

Help Support CattleToday:

4x4dually, that's the way I had PLANNED on sorting them, it's the way I usually do it... the calves were OK with the idea but the cows never bothered coming down into the smaller, lowest pen at all.

Sometimes when I have to run the cows through the chute (very rarely), I will halter one of my tame cows and put her in the crowding pen as 'bait'.. some cows just hate going into there, and having a cow there eating is very helpful.

Since pretty much every heifer I've kept in the last 6 years has been halterbroke by weaning time, and I leave them on the cows longer, I have to go through the weaning process on 2 batches of calves... except with the heifers I usually just halter them and lead them up into the corral.

Well, the calves are settling down to the new reality of a world with no milk... still the odd moo, but they don't have much voice left. They have all become quite tame, and the tame ones have become sucks for attention. I think tomorrow I may kick the cows out of the corral and not have issues with them breaking fences to get back in... I don't want to be feeding 16 bales of hay a day for longer than I need to.