Ear Tags

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I am using Y-Tex tags. I have some with numbers and some blank ones. On the blank ones, I have noticed they are not holding the ink. I used a permanent Sharpie Marker. Do they require a specific pen made for them?

I use z-tags and they have a specific marker for numbering them. I have found two heavy coats of ink work best. Apply one coat, let it dry, then go over it again. Just my opinion.

strihafarms":i6owrquu said:
I use z-tags and they have a specific marker for numbering them. I have found two heavy coats of ink work best. Apply one coat, let it dry, then go over it again. Just my opinion.

Same here. It helps also to avoid the dark tags like red and green. Yellow and white seem to be much more visible even when they're old.

inyati13":15vgiuuu said:
I am using Y-Tex tags. I have some with numbers and some blank ones. On the blank ones, I have noticed they are not holding the ink. I used a permanent Sharpie Marker. Do they require a specific pen made for them?

YES! it is a paint pen they have them any where you buy tags, co op, TS, SS, etc. Looking at how much information you put on the tags I would recommend two pens. The blunt tip for the number and before you apply the ink to the other tip take a razor and shave a point you it will write the fine lines you need.

Same here. I use the blank Y-tex tags. I use the Y-tex or the Allflex ink pen. I use permanent mark to right the birth date on the back and ink on the front. Sometimes I don't like the pen tips right away until they get broke in. They seem to work the greatest right off the bat. I have cut the very tip off a couple and that seems to do the trick.

Write all your info with your permanent ink tagging marker and pop it into the microwave for about 20-30 seconds . Makes a huge difference on how long the ink lasts . I got this tip from Ranchers.net years ago and it does truly work .

Hillsdown.. We never use a microwave for our food, but we have one in a barn somewhere.. I use it to heat up gear oil so it'll pour, but I think I may have another use for it now!

I've found I had better success (allflex tags and ink) when I applied the ink in a cold room... it would take longer for it to dry, and had more time to etch itself into the plastic... and yes 2 coats helps a lot too

I am using some 20 year old weathered tags (the back sides) for my steers... save a buck or two

We remark ours ever time we worm. When our cows get numbers, they get a tattoo in their ear of that number. If the lose a tag, we retag with their tattoo number and occasionally the number cant be read, so we check their tattoo to get their number right and then redo their tag.

We use Ytex tags as well. I only use blank tags. On the cow tags, I use the bottled ink http://www.eartagcentral.com/product.ph ... stseller=Y I have tags that are 10+ years old that are still visible to read using that stuff. It does take a while to dry though.

On the calf tags I just use a marker. I've used Ytex, Allflex and others, but I find the Z Tag marker lasts much better than the others.

There is a tag company that will custom put whatever you want on a tag. I know this because we had a strange steer get in with one of our herds. I couldnt get anywhere near this fella to see what all the writing was on this tag. So, i took my camera there and sat long enough where i could get maybe 50 yards to him and took a picture. I then put the picture in my photography program on my computer and zoomed in. I got a clear enough picture of the tag and what it said. Had a phone number on it to call and found the owner. I have a picture somewhere...but it said. If you find this calf on your property, he belongs to 1 xxx-xxx-xxxx..
I've been meaning to get some of these for our heifers, they'd be the likely ones to actually leave. And of course, you have to find someone honest to call..lol...this calf came a long way, miles and miles. I knew it wasnt anyone in our areas calf. Thought the tags were a pretty good idea and that one paid off for the guy.

We've tried a number of markers but like the z-tag ones best. Allflex markers seem to last okay too, but I always seem to have problems with them 'exploding' all over the tag and you end up with a great big ink blotch on the tag, which shouldn't matter for the calves that are going to auction but it drives me nuts. We put a lot of information on some of our tags and usually try to have 2 markers (one pointy one and a bigger one for the number).

I used bottled ink for sa while.. white ink on black tags looks pretty sharp, but it takes eons to dry, and after 5 years it starts to wear off, after 8 its gone

Here is the custom tag on the stray. I remember now why it took an honest person, you cant sell it with the tag on...lol

Latest posts