Ear Tags

Help Support CattleToday:

Probably dosen't mean anything to anybody except for the guy who placed the tags in the cow(s) ear.

Everybody has their own numbering sequence. Those tags were probably his way of Id'ing the cow(s).

I agree 100%. Everybody has there own 'system' and it means something to someone and nothing to the rest of us. One of my bulls is eartagged B13X and I have a sow with ear notches (which are universal) and a #71 tag and neither tag means anything to me.

Are these your cattle or did you see them in group lots at the sale barn? One small barn near me, puts ear tags in every cow it sells. They tell you at the start of the sale what the colors represent. Red= heifers, green=3rd calvers, yellow= broken mouth, etc.

Howdy,

The same thing you will propbably do with you herd. Get a bag of tags, color of your choice, design of your choice, and tag some cows. Say you picked orange tags. Say you neighbor uses yellow tags. A pretty easy identifier if they got mixed up in a field. Maybe you have some commercial and some registered.. use white tags on one kind and maybe black tags on the other.

The writing is whatever you want it to mean. It will be a means to your recoed keeping process. Year after year knowing who produces what, and what one did not produce well, and goes down the street....

I use all yellow x-large on cows, calves get the next size smaller with dams number, sire, date born. When I do tattoo later, the ear tag with be part of the tattoo. Cow 30 has calf, smaller tag 30. xxxxnamexxxx E30 I am not with the international numbering system, E=5 number in alphabet, last year had D30, next will have E30, then 2006 born would be F30 and so on.
Just do it the way you want to keep track.

Latest posts