ear tag, bleeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
I try to tag all my calves on day one, (saves a race on day three). I have had two heifers with a bloody ear after tagging. I try to get in between the webs in the center of the ear. Just wondering if I am messing up, if it's serious (it looks like quite a bit of blood), or if it just happens that you hit a vein, and it's no biggie. Both of them were moon face babies too, if that matters. I put powdered alum on the ears to stop the blood. Advice?

i have done the same thing, it usually will stop in little while. i had one to tear his out the end of his ear at 3 weeks old. he now has a slpit ear, it was sore for a few days. but he is o.k. now.

I also tag my calves on the first day if possible. I haven't ever seen any bleeding from any of them. Does the tag go in on first try, are they pulling away and it takes more than one try. I have seen them do this and the sharp point on the button cut the skin open, could possibly get some bleeding from this.

I'm thinking I heard something about getting too close to the head can cause bleeding. That you should try to stay centered between the tip of the ear and the head. Does anyone else know about this? Would like to know if I'm remembering right.

I have had trouble in this cold with ears bleeding. I attributed it to them having cold ears making the tag a little tougher to get through. Happens once in a while to all of us I bet. Also moms liking the tag constantly does not help the problem.

While you learn how to tag calves like Burno said, do this. Disinfect the dang things to. You will be supprised what can happen.

Scotty

Farmhand":20n7lsba said:
I'm thinking I heard something about getting too close to the head can cause bleeding. That you should try to stay centered between the tip of the ear and the head. Does anyone else know about this? Would like to know if I'm remembering right.

thats the way i do it... basically i pretty much center it in all directions
.. and like burno said... miss the vein.
jt

I use the Z-tags, so they are clean. And I also try to center in all directions. So, I will relax, and assume its like the "never seen a dead cat in a tree" thing, and that nobody has ever bled to death from an ear tag!

All bleeding stops eventually. Check the Farmers' Almanac - the "signs" probably weren't right.

Latest posts