duroc hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Andybob":13bp0sy4 said:
I had 950 Duroc cross Landrace sows bred to Large white all outside, kept behind electric fences in a waggonwheel or radial formation. The system is run on annual ryegrass, ten sows to the acre in moveable huts well strawed for warmth in winter,so long as your snow isn't more than about a foot deep they will stay out all year. This system allows for the annual move of the herd to clean ground, ploughing the old field for cropping. I weaned an average of 24 piglets per sow per year. I don't have a scanner as yet otherwise I could show pictures of the huts,shades and wallows. The pure Duroc will certainly do well outside and an increasing number of sows are being kept outdoors often being sold at a premium as "free range".
Let me know if you would like any further information, I used this system for 9 years, and a permanent site "free range" system for 10 years .

The hurrier I am,the behinder I get!

Thats alot of hogs

thanks for all the responses sorry it took me so long to get back. how much should i give for the two gilts. and do most of you sell feeder pigs top hogs or freeer pork. what is the price of feededer pigs and top hogs.
i am going to try to get up to about five sows keeking three gilts from the first litters i have and sell pork sausage and hogs to familys that what to slaugter a hog in the winter. i guess the others will be sold as feeder pigs. just wanting to know how some of you sell your hogs.

100_0519.jpg

sorry about size of picture I don't know how to make smaller.
Duroc baby, two days old. momma went cannibil and was eatting his brothers and sisters. started with 9, heis the last one to live.

Latest posts